Chapter 01

I focused my gaze on the screen of my television. I was rewatching one of my favorite series. My hair was messy with some locks hanging down, brushing the side of my face. I was dressed in black leggings, a red hood with a grey shirt under it. It was casual wear, although, it wasn't like I was planning to go somewhere.

"Witch!" I twitched at the nickname as a friend of mine, Benny, barged into my room. I paused my show and turned to him to shoot a glare, still tucked under the sheets of my bed.

"I told you to never call me that," I hissed at him.

"No way," he laughed. "I called you that when I first met you, and I plan to keep calling you that."

I groaned. The last thing I wanted today was to hear that wretched name. I already hear it enough at school.

"So, whatcha watchin'?" He asked with his hands behind his back. He glaced over at the screen to look at the paused show. "Wait-isn't that the show you already finished...um... 'Died Journel' was it?"

Nope.

"Death Note," I corrected after a sigh.

"Yeah, that! Didn't you already finish it though?"

"I'm rewatching it," I exclaimed.

"Right, right." Benny nodded along. "Why don't you watch a real t.v. show, like, Teen Wolf or Vampire Diaries? I dunno, just something a normal girl would watch."

First, he calls me Witch, noW he wants me to be a "normal giirl"? What's up with him?

"I don't really care about vampires, werewolves, or those romance shows. I prefer a show that is based on mystery, something that'll make you think about murder, not who's dating who." I reached into my Lays bag. "I'll take a potato chip-" I pulled out a Lays chip and held it in the air, making sure that it faced Benny-" and eat it." I dropped it into my mouth and then chewed.

Benny rolled his eyes and sighed. "One of the many reasons people call you Witch," he said. "You're so weird sometimes."

Before I could make some smart-assed comment, something black fell outside. I caught it from the corner of my eye and turned toward the window.

"Did you see that?" I questioned.

"See what?"

"Something fell from the sky."

"What are you talking about? Nothing fell."

I thought for a minute. I switched off the television and peeled off the blanket from me. I hopped off my bed and passed Benny.

"Hey, where're you going?"

"Outside," I replied.

I traveled downstairs with my blond-haired friend following me from behind.

"Hey, wait a second!" He huffed out. I didn't care to wait, I just stepped out the door and out into the front yard.

Everything seemed fairly ordinary, but there was something, something laying on top of a patch of green grass.

I walked over and picked up the black item, only to find that it was a notebook. Could it be?

No...no, it couldn't.

Noticing that the I was facing the back cover, I turned of over, only to see the white, bold letters of "Death Note," facing me.

"Death Note?" I repeated.

"What?" Benny said from behind.

"It's a Death Note," I responded. I opened the book and flipped through the pages. I spotted the rules and various names that I didn't recognize.

"A Death Note? Well, what irony," he muttered.

"I know right?" I said. "The irony of it just falling out of the sky at the exact same time when I was rewatching Death Note. Isn't that strange?"

"Yeah, it kinda is."

"Well," I began, "let's go inside. Standing out here won't do us much." I took a step toward the door and suddenly my head began to throb. I squeezed my eyes shut as I held my head with my free hand. I dropped to my knees and moaned out in pain.

"Hey...are you okay?" Benny asked, dropping down in front of me.

"Sure," I hissed out, "because an aching head and dropping on my knees totally happens every day."

"Oh," he said. "I-I'll get you some ice." With that, he ran inside.

"Ugh..." I groaned. I felt my eyes become heavy as I layed my head on the grass. Losing consciousness, I took one last glance at the Death Note. Before anymore questions could pop into my head, darkness then consumed me and everything became silent.