we can't be friends- seungmin

We can't be friends - Kim seungmin

Just a pinch of lip balm to cover up your chapped lips and you were ready to go. You were contemplating whether to add mascara but meh, what difference does it make. You're just gonna meet Seungmin not the queen.

Once you heard his annoying car's horn blaring through your driveway you quickly grabbed a purse and left just like that. You didn't even need to give your mom an explanation of where you were going because she knew you were going to the same place you had been going for the past three years.

Three years. The same routine. Every Saturday for the past three years you'd get out of your bed for the first time that day, get dressed ( just change out of your pj's who are we kidding here ) and hop into Seungmin's old car while he'd drive you to the diner.

Three years ago you both had been assigned a project together. He was new to this town and you didn't quite know that he actually existed before the project because you didn't pay attention to anyone in your school except your own friends circle. You agreed to meet him at a diner which was near both of your houses and he ended up giving you a ride because your car was flat.

From there the conversations were always smooth. You really didn't put much thought into what you were speaking about and where it originated from, but one thing was sure. You'd end up laughing the whole way back once you start thinking about it.

There you were, sitting in the passenger seat letting the evening breeze take control over your hair. You were oddly quiet, as seungmin noticed from his rear mirror while you were waiting at a red light.

" You okay? " He asked placing his palm on the back of yours, his eyes never leaving the road.

" I have a lot on my mind. " You confessed as you sighed. But you couldn't help smile at the thought of what troubled you.

" Well, that's why we have this whole evening to ourselves. " He smiled into his sentence.

You opened the door for him to pass through once you arrived. Your smile automatically appearing when you see the face of the very familiar waitress coming to your table to get your order.

" So what will you get? Let me guess. The usual one strawberry shortcake smoothie, one iced caramel machiatto and two burger fries sets? " She recited the same order she has been for the past three years.

Before seungmin could nod his head in approval you interrupted him.

" Actually I'd like some pancakes and maple syrup instead. Oh. And also add loads of butter. " You could feel Seungmin's gaze as he was shocked once the waitress left.

" Woah , you okay over there? Pancakes? " He said arching an eyebrow.

" Just a recommendation from a friend. " You mumbled as you saw the look on his face.

But he quickly switched back to normal as you started to fill him up on all the high school gossip you got your hands on this past week. Although you both are in the same grade, you take different classes. He's a science student and part of the student council while you study home science which is why you guys never get to meet at school.

He listens to every word attentively as if it were an important lesson. And because of him you had figured out how much boys gossip as well. He fills you up about the incidents in the chemistry lab while you tell him about your almost stale bread in baking class.

By the time you finish your story your food arrives.

" Woah isn't that too much butter? " He eyes your pancakes once again as you get your knife and fork ready.

" I wouldn't know. Felix told me it's better this way. "

" Felix? Lee Felix? "

" Oh good! You know him. He's my baking partner. You know the one who also played a part in my stale bread. " You said chuckling as you remembered it.

" He's one of the popular kids. Everyone knows him. " Seungmin said wiping off the excess ketchup that was around his mouth.

" Oh I didn't know. " You answered truthfully.

" Well now that the small talk is over. What is bothering you? "

" Well... "

" Spill. "

" Someone asked me out. "

You saw him put his knife down carefully as his eyes became serious. But then as if he realised that you saw him get so tense he swiftly took a sip of his smoothie.

" Really? Who? " He asked his tone almost screaming that he was uninterested.

" Felix. He asked me out for a date tomorrow. " You softly said not knowing what to expect.

" You're not going right? " He said his eyes wavering here and there.

" Umm I am. Why? Is there a reason a shouldn't?"

" If you don't like him that way, he might get hurt later and so will you. "

" But that's the thing, I like him too. " You felt the blush creeping onto your cheeks as you admitted your feelings.

" Why are you telling me this? "

You were taken aback at this phrase. The least expected answer he could give you, you thought.

" Why? I don't know because I felt that friends should know. " You snubbed at him, kinda hurt at his short phrase.

" we can't still be friends. " He mumbled and your eyes couldn't help but widen at that statement.

" Excuse me? "

" We can't still be friends. " He said after clearing his throat and looking straight into your eyes.

You scoffed in disbelief but he didn't let you reply.

" We cant still be friends because I never started to speak with you with the intentions of staying as friends. And honestly I would never be okay with you seeing someone else. I don't want to be around when that happens. So thank you for the great memories and high school gossip but this ends here. I'm no friend of yours."

" What the fuck are you talking about seungmin?! " You raised your voice, the rage clearly seen.

He simply got up left a few bills under his plate paying for his meal and slammed the glass door on his way out,the bells ringing on the diner door signalling his dramatic exit.

You didn't realise you were standing up in your seat untill the people around started staring. You quickly plopped down into the booth trying to recollect whatever happened the last few minutes of your life.

Was that a confession? Did he like you? Why hasn't he ever made a move? Or were you that oblivious that you had never noticed. Surely that wouldn't be the case would it?

" We can't still be friends seungmin, then what are we? " You seemed to ask the empty wooden booth seated across you as you sighed in confusion.