Chapter 9

That weekend I sat at a bench in the park, letting the cool autumn winds blow by me as I waited for Maki to arrive. In the end, I was a bit excited and headed over a bit early. Today is the day me and her planned to have a date together as sort of a way to feel things out between us. I have a plan in mind and I feel like it'll be fun. Today is the day of the week that Six Strings is closed so among a couple of reasons, I won't have to worry about Mom or Dad asking me to help out around the shop. Not that I mind it, but I don't want today to be interrupted.

About fifteen minutes before the time we had agreed to both meet up here, I saw Maki enter the park herself and walking this way.

I got up and walked over to her. "Hey Maki, looks like I wasn't the only one who decided to head over early."

"I just decided to head over a bit early just to be safe." Maki said "And I see you came early too."

"Yeah, I was really looking forward to our date and I couldn't really sit still at home" I said, causing Maki to start blushing. Cute.

"Anyway, what exactly is the plan?" said Maki, trying to brush aside my previous statement.

"Well the first thing is that I figured that we could go get something to eat, as for the second half of the date, let's just say I'll tell you when it's time." I replied.

"Then how about we get going?" Maki suggested.

"Sounds good. By the way, you look really cute today." I said, returning some blush back to her face

We walked to a cafe I had been recommended a while back by a senpai in the guitar club, a place called Wiosna. It had a modern style to it and a section out front with tables for guests who wanted to eat outside.

We entered and soon were guided to a table by a waiter. We were handed menus and after we decided our orders, the waiter left. We spent our time at Wiosna talking about whatever came to mind and enjoying our food.

After we finished eating, we talked for a bit longer before we left the cafe towards our second destination. After walking for a bit, I said "Hey Maki, do you remember how a couple weeks before the festival, I mentioned how your mom invited me to see one of your recitals right?"

Maki nodded "I do, why?"

I took a deep breath before I said "To be completely honest, that wasn't the entire truth. I hadn't been just starting to learn guitar, I started learning guitar a few weeks after the recital. I hadn't particularly cared about music when I was little, but when I went to your recital, hearing you play inspired me and in the end, it's what gave birth to my love of music. I ended up wanting to meet the girl who inspired me, then I wanted to get to know her, and in the end, I fell in love with her. But after I met you, when I wanted to get to know you, there was another thing I wanted to achieve: I wanted to be skilled enough to reach your level, and ask you to play a duet with me." As I said those words, we reached our destination: the currently closed Six Strings. I then held out my hand and said "But I don't care about reaching your level anymore, I just want to play alongside you and get to know you through that. So what do you say?"

"I'd love to."

Maki took my hand and we entered the shop, where I switched on the lights to show our display piano and my guitar beside each other. With our hands still together, we walked over to the two instruments and let go of each other's hand, heading to our respective instruments.

We had no sheet music or song in mind, instead we improvised and brought ourselves into sync with the other, our duet reaching a unity that sounded wonderful. That dear, one time song letting us connect to each other through it.

However, our duet eventually came to an end, and as I put down my guitar, I stated "That was amazing."

"It really was." Maki said. She walked over to me and after we shared a hug, Maki said "I really don't understand you sometimes, but I do know I love you Y/n."

"Then would you do me the honor of letting me be your boyfriend?" I said with a grin.

"I'd be glad to." Maki replied. We embraced each other for a bit longer before we separated and as we did so, we still held hands before we started the walk to her home.

As we reached her front door, before she entered the house, Maki said "I had a good time with you today."

"I had a good time too." I responded

Maki then began to blush a bit before she said "I understand that a normal thing for couples to do is to kiss but-"

"You're not quite ready yet?" I interrupted, "Don't worry about it. Once you're ready, then we will, but until then, just being able to be beside my amazing girlfriend is enough for me."

Maki smiled and said "I'll see you at school tomorrow."
"I'll see you then." I said, "I love you Maki."

"I love you too." Maki said before she turned to head into her home.

After that, I turned to start the walk back home, happy with the development of me and Maki's relationship to this new point.