Chapter 3

"Old song I heard somewhere.

I don't know whose song."

It's been a week since my first day at Otonokizaka. In the end I found a guitar club here and I joined it. I ended up bringing my guitar today, but the club isn't active today, so I ended up hanging out alone in the music room, strumming and playing by myself.

"Passin' trees and throwin' pebbles.

A kid bored out of his mind.

There's no sweet memory,

But this song reminds me of better days."

I'm typically not one to sing as I play since I don't have a particularly great voice, but I'm in a good mood and nobody is around, so I think it's fine to sing a little bit. The way the sun comes through the window gives a lighting I really love.

"I can feel the magic moment,

if I close my eyes.

There's no need to remember,

but I don't want to forget.

I won't forget!"

After my song ended, I removed the strap from around my shoulder so I could put it down, and got up from the chair I was sitting at to stretch. As I did so, I saw someone was opening the door, it was Maki.

"I never noticed how little insulation this room has, no wonder Honoka heard me playing back then." Maki mumbled

"Huh?"

"Oh, nothing. So that was you playing that song, right?" Maki asked

"Uh yeah, the guitar club wasn't meeting up today so I figured I would just hang out in the music room and play for a while." I answered

"I can definitely tell that you were having fun as you played" Maki responded

"I don't usually sing as I play, but I definitely was having a good time." I said "Did you come here to play the piano?"

"Actually, I was here to continue composing a song." Maki answered

"Oh, for Muse right? I kept hearing everybody rooting you girls on so I ended up looking into you myself. I'm definitely rooting for you too." I said

"Thanks." Maki responded

"Hey, I may not know much about composing music, but maybe I can help. You know, one musician to another." I suggested

"You don't have to, I'll be fine composing it by myself." Maki replied "I'm not against hearing other's opinions, but you don't have anything to do with Muse, so why do you want to help?"

"I still owe you personally for showing you around my first day. Think of me giving my help as my way of paying you back." I said "If not for just a little bit."

Maki sighed and responded "I really don't get you. Fine, you can help for a little while."

"Alright, so can I see what it is you've been composing?" I asked. Maki pulled a page of sheet music from her bag and handed it to me. I'm not the best at reading classical notation as tabs are easier for guitar, but I can read it decently enough. "Alright, then how were you thinking about doing this?"

------------------------------------

While originally the plan was that I would just help her for a little while, we ended up both caught up on discussing our thoughts on the song, then when I finally got up to stretch, I noticed the sun was beginning to set. We definitely got a good chunk of work done on the song and I'm looking forward to hearing them sing it. I then pulled out my phone and saw that I had been getting texts from my parents, asking when I would be home.

"Hey Maki, it's starting to get late, don't you think we should call it a day?" I said

Maki looked towards the clock on the wall and said "Yeah, I should be heading home soon."

As I began packing up my guitar, I suggested "How about I walk you home? We're headed the same direction after all."

"If you want to, I guess I don't mind." Maki said as she returned her stuff to her bag.

We both soon finished packing up and began to leave the building together. It didn't seem like there were many people left her beyond the occasional student on their way out. Once we stepped outside the building and headed down the road, the setting sky dyed the world an orange hue.

As we reached Maki's home, I stretched and said "Hey Maki, I wanted to help you for more than just wanting to pay you back. I dunno if we could consider ourselves yet, but I hope that someday we can be friends."

As we reached the front gate to her home, I had finished telling her my thoughts. Maki reached for the gate and opened it, but before she went through, she said "Thanks for today Y/n, you were actually pretty helpful. I don't know if we're friends yet, but I would be glad to get to know you little by little."

"Of course. I'll see you tomorrow." I responded before I began my walk back to the house.