Just Talking

It was around 2:30am and you stood in the kitchen with your headphones in making a midnight snack.

After Steve and Bucky had arrived *team Rogers* sat down for a small welcome dinner.
Steve sat between you and Bucky so you wouldn't ruin what turned out to be a pretty nice meal (despite the fact that Clint tried to make fish tacos and completely messed up the seasoning so that it was practically inedible)

Your music was turned up loud enough that you couldn't hear anything else. Not that it mattered all that much since no one else was awake... or so you thought.

(Haha I'm just hitting all the fanfic stereotypes here aren't I 😂)

You swung up hips to the beat while you made a plate of cheese and crackers. You accidentally pulled one of the headphones out and before you could put it back in you heard a voice say:

"You dance like shit y/l/n"

You turned around to see bucky sitting at the table drinking a glass if water. "How long have you been in here grandma?" You'd decided on his new nickname durning dinner.
" careful" he said " last time you called me that I almost kicked your ass"

You scoffed " you couldn't if you tried. Now answer my question."

"I couldn't sleep... and I heard you leave your room." He took a sip of his water. "Well guess we have a bit of a stalker in the building." You turned back around to finish your task.

"I'm just making sure you're not up to something" was all he said
"Oh were still talking" you respond sarcastically "I didn't know we did that."

He stood up and took a few steps towards you. "I dont trust you y/l/n"
You narrowed your eyes at him angrily "and why not?".
He made direct eye contact. It scared you a bit, one of the greatest assassins in the world staring you down with a look that could kill... but you held your stance. You hadn't recharged in the lab for a while but you were sure you could hold your own against him for at least a while even without your powers.

"Because you were hydra" he said darkly
You almost laughed "not by choice."

After a minute of thinking, your expression shifted from anger to confusion "and so were you" you stated obviously.

" well they fucked with my brain" he tried to explain. "No! Look, you dont get to act all high and mighty cause you were brainwashed. They may have actually changed your brain chemistry but I was still tortured and experimented on and mentally abused." You crossed your arms. You didn't like talking about this, or getting this vulnerable in general. Normally you would have just deflected with some kind of joke but this time- you had to defend yourself.

"They captured me on a family trip to Copenhagen when I was fifteen. My dad was an American ambassador and I was gonna join the military after high school. I'd transferred to a military school the year before and the people who killed the rest of my family saw me as a young moldable girl who had already started combat training."

You felt your legs getting weak so you leaned against the counter. "Do you think someone that young, someone who was tortured and overpowered by those evil people every day would have realized that she could have broken out and killed them? For years I thought of these people as gods. I hated them but they broke my soul and I became dependent on the doctors and hydra commanders who hurt me in a sick-sick way. I didn't realize how powerful I was until one day after they unlocked my powers when I killed a guard an accident just because he touched me and was electrocuted"

"Barnes I know they hurt you but you're not the only one."

He looked sympathetic but then said "but you had free will, and you hated them." His tone become very serious "y/n I know you, you dont seem the type to become so submissive in that kind of situation. It just- something doesn't add up to me"

"Then obviously you dont know me at all Bucky". He was stunned by your use of his first name so you took the opportunity to take the plate of crackers and head up to your room.