Family

Stef opened her eyes and yawned as she rubbed her face. She looked at her window which had small light from outside peeking through then glanced at the time, already 10 am.
She didn't remember the last time she was able to sleep in this late. It had been a few days now that the twins were with Mike and they were coming back today.
She turned over to see Lena still sleeping. Her face peaceful. Her mouth slightly open and curls draping down her face.
"is it time for you to kick me out?" Lena said as she slowly opened her eyes to see Stef smiling at her.
"Not yet. I was thinking maybe you don't have to leave today" Stef nervously looked at lena.
"But I need to pick up Frankie at noon and your kids come back later today too" Lena looked at her confused.
"Exactly. You can bring Frankie here and then we can get all the kids together and tell them.. about us" Stef rubbed her face gently. Lena thought about it for a few minutes.
"Okay. If you're ready" she said touching her hand.
"I think I am"
They enjoyed the rest of the morning together sharing breakfast and more talks. They were becoming more inseparable by the day.
"Okay, so I will be back with Frankie" Lena said grabbing her bag and giving Stef a kiss.
She left just as Stef's phone vibrated,
"Mike? Is everything okay?" She said cautiously
"Yes everything is good. The twins are excited to go back with you, especially Cal. I have to admit these past few days have kicked my ass" he said and Stef chuckled.
"Anyway I was just calling to ask if-"
"I forgot my keys!" Lena said entering the house again. She noticed Stef was on the phone,
"Oops I'm sorry" she quietly grabbed her keys and left again. Stef smiled and waved at her as she exited. Every silly thing she did made her smile so hard.
"Who was that?" Mike said mid sentence.
"Uh that's just Lena. We've been hanging out a lot lately" Stef said awkwardly. She knew they were separated but it was still hard to talk about new relationships with each other.
"She was over in the morning? What, did you guys have a sleepover?" Mike chuckled. Stef could sense his jealousy.
"She has been very helpful and nice as you know and.. we are seeing each other. Taking it slow" Stef said avoiding his question. She did want to be honest. Especially when her kids were about to know.
"I'm sure. Well, I guess it's not my business who you are seeing huh?" He gave another jealous laugh and Stef so badly wanted the subject to change,
"So, what did you need to ask?" She managed to get out remembering he had something to say.
"What time is lights out?"
"School nights are at 9 Mike. Please tell me they haven't been staying up too late" Stef shook her head.
"Nope, just checking. Alright I'll see you later when I drop these two off" Mike hung up quickly.
Stef could feel the tension between them now that she told him she was seeing Lena. She tried not to let his energy affect her. What mattered is starting her new life the way she wanted it. Not Mike's feelings. Not right now.

~

"Frankie!" Stef said opening the door. Frankie was wearing jeans and a t shirt with white shoes. Her hair was in two braids. Lena had her hands on her shoulders.
"Hi Stef. Nice to meet you again" she smiled and they walked in.

 Nice to meet you again" she smiled and they walked in

"You can make yourself comfortable. How was school?" Stef asked as she walked into the kitchen.
"It was very good. Glad it was a half day I like these days best" Frankie sat down in front of the tv and Lena sat with her.
Stef walked over with fresh lemonade she made the night before.
"Hope you like strawberry lemonade!" She handed her a glass and she happily took it.
"Yes it is my favorite drink!" Frankie took a sip.
"So I was told" she winked at Lena.
Stef loved seeing Lena with her daughter. She was really starting to feel like they could all be a family.
"I have so much homework the teachers made us do today" Frankie took out her little mermaid notebook and Stef smiled,
"My daughter Callie loves the little mermaid!" Stef said. She thought for a minute, Callie was growing out of her interests. She didn't watch that movie at least once a day anymore like she used to insist on doing. Her baby was growing up right in front of her eyes.
She felt glad to have Frankie in her life, to remind her of Callie when she was a bit younger. Even if it's just a year apart. She hadn't thought about having more kids but seeing Frankie made her realize she wasn't complete yet. She glanced over at Lena and imagined having kids together.
"Me too! I love Disney everything!" Frankie said excited.
"Have you ever been to Disneyland?"
"Yes! But I want to go again!"
"Maybe someday we can all go together?" Stef said looking at Lena. She smiled in return,
"I would definitely love that"
"Like a family vacation" Frankie said which shocked Stef. Frankie must have already got the hint they were together by now and based on her words, she didn't mind it which made Stef happy.
Family
She wanted nothing more than to start a life and family with Lena, Frankie, and the twins.
"Yeah, just like that"