Done

< A/N: little disclaimer I don't really know entirely how a divorce works and all that so some things regarding that might be wrong. But here's the chapter you all are waiting for!>

Stef tried to keep the household together and everything running smooth. She wanted to tell Callie and Brandon soon about Lena and the divorce. She was just waiting for the perfect time and wanted to ask Lena if it was ok to first. Her kids meant everything so she was always cautious before introducing new people into their lives. She wanted to see where their relationship stood and if it was official between them first.
"So, because you have two children we'll need to discuss custody"
Stef and Mike were meeting up with a divorce attorney to finalize things.
"Okay, uh how should we go about that?" Mike nervously laughed.
"Well, I sorta drafted an idea of what I think would be adequate and fair. Considering both of our places in the kids lives" Stef said pulling out a paper. This shocked Mike,
"What? You had something prepared and you didn't tell me?"
"Actually this is great. Can I have a look?" Ruby, their attorney said reaching out her hand.
Mike gave Stef a glance and she ignored him.
"I think it would be best if I had the twins Monday, Tuesday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday" Stef said looking at Ruby.
"Hold on, I only get them Wednesday and Thursday? What is this" Mike looked at Stef angrily.
"This would be just for now so we can see how things go" Stef said trying not to start an argument. She wanted the children to be with her most days because she was the primary parent who usually made the food, helped with homework and school, as well as just ran the house better overall. She was worried he wouldn't know how to give structure and be a good parent on his own. Of course she would let him see the kids if he wanted to outside of the days but she couldn't help but worry. She decided this was best.
"Did we want to go for a more 50/50 route?" Ruby spoke up.
"I just had... concerns" Stef said slowly.
"Concerns? Really Stef" Mike said shaking his head.
"Yes Mike, your constant drinking and leaving the house. I can't help but be worried. You can't be a parent to our kids when your drunk" Stef snapped.
"I can cut back"
"Mike.. please, can we try this and see how it goes" Stef said begging. She had given up on trying to help Mike and his drinking. She knew he started up with the alcoholic behavior recently again and she just wanted to protect Callie and Brandon.
"Mike, is this true?" Ruby spoke up noticing the thick tension in the room.
"Sometimes - I - not -" Mike shook his head and glanced at the door. He abruptly stood up and stomped to the exit.
"Mike!" Stef yelled as she stood up. She was done with his tantrums, his way of dealing with things he didn't like.
"Mike please sit" Ruby turned her chair to face him. He let go of the door handle and sat back down. He figured this wasn't proving much of a positive statement for him. Great, he had to accept the horrible fact that he would only get his children twice a week.
"I think you can have a chance to prove something here. With this custody agreement, you can work on your alcoholism and this can open up more opportunities to have your children more often in the future if there is improvement" Ruby said leaning in closer to Mike. Stef watched as Mike hesitantly agreed. She couldn't tell what he was feeling. Was he mad? Sad? Embarrassed?
"So, let me grab the papers and run this by the judge. I will be back" Ruby said getting up and leaving.
"Great to know how you think of me as a dad" Mike said avoiding eye contact with Stef.
"I.. I did what was best for the kid-"
"You know what, after we sign these papers I'll be out and I don't think we can even be friends right now" Mike took a deep breath.
Stef felt tears swell in her eyes but blinked them away. She couldn't let him see her cry.
"We have to be civil for Callie and Brandon. We have to be adults"
"So we pretend? Pretend like I know what to say to them? Pretend like I know the person I was married to all these years? I feel like I have no fucking idea who you even are Stef" Mike said his voice cracking as he rubbed his face.
They waited in silence before Ruby finally came back,
"You both will need to sign this stack of papers and the divorce should be finalized this week" she placed the stack of papers in front of them. Stef grabbed the pen first and signed. With every signature she felt scared, scared, but mostly hopeful. Now she could finally live her truth and be happy. It was done.
The drive home was quiet and awkward. Callie and Brandon were still at school and had a few more hours till they would be off.
Mike didn't say anything when they arrived home despite Stef trying to start small conversations about random unimportant things.
"I'll need these" Mike said grabbing two big boxes from the garage. Stef nodded as she watched him walk to their room and pack all of his stuff.
The hours went by so quickly Stef forgot to pick up her kids.
"Oh my gosh" Stef exclaimed as she ran downstairs and grabbed her jacket. She called Lena,
"Hello?"
"Hi, Lena it's Stef I completely forgot to pick up the twins I will get there as fast as I can. Today has been stressful to say the least" she gave a fake laugh.
"Did you meet up with the attorney?"
"Yes and we signed the papers. Mike is upstairs packing" Stef said feeling the tears swell in her eyes again.
"Oh my god... already? Stef, I can bring the twins over. They're here waiting in my office"
"Really?"
"Yes, don't worry about it just do what you need to and I'll call you when I am here to drop them off ok? You got this and I'm proud of you" Lena smiled. She remembered how hard her divorce was from Monte. She had desperately wished someone was there for support and to offer pick up Frankie on the hard days. She wanted to be that for Stef. And more than anything she wanted to make Stef her girlfriend. Officially.