Don't Leave

"Ms. Adams.. Lena, has helped me when I am sad she is there for me and.." Stef wasn't ready to tell her kids yet, not like this. She wanted it to be on her own terms and with Lena present.
"Your dad and I have other issues, adult reasons. We decided that divorce was the best option for the family. We will be happier apart and need to grow separately. You two are the most important thing to us so I do not want you to worry about why" she gave them a soft look and smiled.
Callie got up immediately and wrapped her in a hug. Callie and Stef had always been close and had grown closer recently. She hated seeing her clingy and afraid to leave her side.
After more questions about school, houses,  and vacations they seemed to finally have no more questions in mind.
"Ok you two, go do your homework and thank you for being so mature about the situation" Mike smiled. Callie also went up to him and gave a hug.
"Love you my princess" they stayed hugging for a few minutes then Brandon joined in.
"That went.. better than I expected" Stef sighed as she watched them go upstairs to do their homework.
"It did. I should probably go pack the rest of my stuff" Mike said giving a fake smile as he walked up to their room. The kids didn't know he was leaving today and Stef hoped they would take it okay. It was a big change overnight for them.
Stef went up and helped him with his things while she cleaned the room.
"So I've been thinking.." he said
"I know I left abruptly when you told me you were a lesbian but it was because I was confused. I think I'm willing to accept you as you are. And if you want to be with Lena then so be it. I mean, it is obvious something is going on with you two, even Brandon said something. What was that all about?" Mike stopped packing and put his hand on his hip.
Stef thought about it, how did they know something was going on? She tried to be very secretive about their relationship but they must have found out somehow.
"I don't know. I guess they just have seen me hanging out with her a lot lately" Stef shrugged.
"Well, I can't promise to be the most amazing dad on my own. Shit, I'm not even good at giving them advice about girls.. or boys. Like, at all. But I will try not to drink when they are there" Mike saying this meant a lot to Stef. She was glad he was taking it seriously and this gave her the motivation to want to tell the kids the truth about her and Lena.
"Thank you" she smiled at him and he gave her a smile back.
"I'm glad we're leaving on a good page so that there is no competition or bad feelings" she added and he agreed. Mike had found a three bedroom apartment he could afford. Stef offered to pay for some of the rent and it seemed like a perfect deal.
Once all his things were packed he headed downstairs. The thumping of the luggage caught the twins attention.
"Where are you going?" Callie said coming out of her room.
"Remember how we said dad has his own apartment now? He's moving in now" Stef smiled and Brandon came out of his room and immediately ran down the stairs and up to Mike.
"Don't leave!" He yelled as he held onto his jacket.
"Hey B, I will see you on Wednesday and I will probably still have to come back here for things I missed while packing. I have to go move into my new place" Mike said trying to calm him down. He rubbed his back and stroked his hair.
"Can I go?"Brandon said while still hanging on.
"B, we made a schedule and we have to start using it so it's easier for us to transition and get used to it. You go be with him Wednesday for two days" Stef said trying to get his arms off of Mike so he could leave.
"I really have to go set up the place otherwise you two won't have a room to go back to" Mike laughed but now Brandon started crying. Stef was finally able to get his hands off from Mike so he could leave.
"Bye dad" Callie gave Mike a hug.
"I'll see you guys soon" Mike waved.
"NO NO" Brandon yelled again
"Stop Brandon!" Callie yelled back at him. She was getting stressed out that he was making a big deal of the situation.
"How about you call me later?" Mike said opening the door.
Brandon nodded and fell out of Stef's arms and onto the floor. Almost as a toddler would. Stef was shocked at his reaction but he was close to Mike so she knew it would be hard for him so she let him act whatever way he did.
Mike fully stepped out of the house and Brandon leaped off the floor and ran to the door.
"DAD" he yelled but Stef held the door shut. She was scared he would try to run away. He was just emotional.
He stopped fighting and sat on the floor with his face to his knees and cried.
"You're making it worse!" Callie yelled at him as she crossed her arms.
"SHUT UP!" Brandon yelled back loudly.
"Hey, let's just leave him alone. He's upset. You can go back to homework yeah?" Stef said touching Callie's shoulder. She went upstairs angry and Stef stayed with Brandon until he calmed down.