T O M • R I D D L E

The Good Mornings Never Last

A
L I T T L E
F O O T
MADE ME BELIEVE THAT I WAS HOLDING MY HUSBAND'S HAND IN MY SLEEP. BUT ALAS, IT WAS OUR SMALL DAUGHTER that wiggled her way in between myself and Tom.

Even though he was half asleep, he smiled when I told him that I thought I was holding his hand. This made the four year old giggle with glee.

It wasn't long after, when I decided that I wanted his attention, too. And so, I did what any good natured wife in my position would do and crawled into his arms, peppered his face with delicate kisses and asked him why he had to be so handsome. The bastard only smiled at me with his eyes closed.

Tom really was handsome; with his dark hair and his sharp, almost Roman-like features.

I pestered the poor man again.

"Why do you have to be so handsome?"

He only laughed half asleep and turned his back to me.

"Would you like some tea?"

"That would be nice, thank you." That was code for: WOMAN, LET ME SLEEP.

But I was undeterred and enlisted the help of little Olivia. We were now cats, meowing on top of the man for his affection that would soon be gifted us.

But no, Olivia sternly got told to toddle off back to her own room and I was given yet another glorious view of the man's back.

I sighed and kissed his cheek, telling Tom that I loved him and would be back with his tea shortly.

On the way down to the kitchen, I scooped Olivia's small body up with the promise of tea and toast with strawberry jam. She was most enthralled.

I didn't notice that the front door was slightly open, and I had no reason to doubt that Tom had locked the doors last night. He always locked the doors and checked them twice. Charmed them at least three times. He was paranoid, I knew. But I never felt unsafe with him. Tom took good care of his family.

This morning the kettle took forever to heat. If my husband were here, he'd be disgusted by my way of doing things the "muggle" way. But I liked doing it their way when it came to the kitchen. It was relaxing, and so he left me to do it as I pleased.

"Ollie, why don't you get your plate out for Mommy?" I suggested to my daughter. She looked so bored waiting for the toast.

"Yes mommy." Her voice was still so babyish at times that it made me want to kiss her up.

It wasn't a moment later when I realized something was amiss in the home.

"Mommy forgot her wand upstairs. But I don't remember where. Please go ask Daddy to help you look for my wand and ask him to bring it here." I tried to keep the cheer in my voice as I sent her swiftly up the stairs.

I was defenseless.

And by the time Tom had realized what was going on, he could only hear me scream and the dull thud of my body giving way underneath me.

He hid Olivia in the room and cast a miffliato charm so that no one would hear her.

It wasn't long before he found my body.

Next to it, a deranged Dumbledore with his wand pointed at my husband.

I wish I could tell you what happened next. But I'm already dead.