17. Every bit of humanity in me

SMILE

Chapter 17: Every bit of humanity in me

Nicole's P.O.V

**You are cordially invited to a**
CHARITY BALL
In aid of the MONTEZ appeal
Tonight
Ballroom,
The Montez Hotel

Formal attire
Drinks on arrival
10 course meal with wine
Charity auction & entertainment
Arrival 10pm
Dismissal 12am

Individual table Table of 10

£100 £950

"What is the meaning of this?" My eyes drew from the card in white gold painting to the face of none other than the woman who sat behind the well furnished and of good quality table proven by its hardness and durability. She remained silent to my question.

One of her hands held a black ink pen. The other, files of some sort that numerously laid around the table in neat arrangements while two laid open in front of her, the name R.E.E.C.E boldly written at the heading. Clicking the pen shut, she said, "Darwin, we will continue this later. But do cancel all my appointments for today."

Dressed in an expensive black suit, an inner white and a well fixed black tie - a formal clothing, Darwin took a quick bow before mother and proceeded with a turn to give me a slight nod in greeting. "Good day, young miss." He addressed, just before taking his leave, the sound of the door following suite, behind footsteps.

"What can I help you with?" She asked, straightforward as always, and strictly down to business. Her eyes never laid on me, faced down to the stack of files right in front of her rather than lifting them to face her own daughter. She scanned them thoroughly with the highlight of her pen. The simple action symbolized the preference of her attention to work and business over me. She stayed sited in wealth, as well as dressed in it, though formal.

"What's this?" I asked, again, my patience threading on a very thin line while hers were portrayed as composed and collected. Placing the invitation card in front of her, I watched her eyes snap up to it before sparing me a look. "I don't know what this means but I'm not going." I announced.

Keeping the files at bay, the pen in her hands remained in them. "I'm hosting a Charity Ball." She said, like it would explain it all and my presence needed there. "That's all you need to know. I don't owe you an explanation." She concluded, eyes challenging.

"Then I'm not coming." I said, as if daring her authority. I was no slave nor dog, so I as hell didn't owe nobody some shitty loyalty nor respect. I was, I am and will always be alone. On my own. "So you might as well give this to someone else, yeah?" I said, my hands wasting no time before taking action. I crushed the card in my fist, throwing the result of it on her desk, right in front of her, in dishonor and disrespect.

Satisfied with my work here, I proceeded to turn towards the door which exited you out of her private study room, a layer and shelves of books here and there, a huge chandelier hanging with sets of bright lights all around, the tick-tock of the large golden clock that rested above the door chimed, the only source of sound and of course, my footsteps.

"Nicole," She called, succeeding in making me halt in my tracks and movements. I awaited the next words to leave her mouth, getting ready to oppose or retort with a comeback. "You will do as I say, and I say you will attend it." She ordered, leaving no space for argument or confrontation.