The Catacombs

Celestia was in the old library in the catacombs. Going over the books she reviewed a few nights ago. She quickly flipped through the pages and looked up at the rotten apple on the table. She reviewed the spell once more and activated her horn. Allowing the dark magic to go through her body until she directed it towards the apple. Instead of healing the apple. Like the spell said it would do, the apple disintegrated into ashes.

She sighed in frustration and used her normal magic to move it to the growing bucket of ash next to her and grabbed an apple from the other basket next to her. She started flipping through a new book, looking for more spells. Suddenly, she heard rustling behind her. Her ears perked up and her head turned slightly in alarm to the corridor behind her.

Somepony else was here.

She turned her attention back to the book. She decided, for the sake of her mind, she was just hearing things. Then she heard it again. She spun around in a swift motion. She came face to face with a changeling.

---

The Changling Empire had been planning an attack on Chanterlot for decades. They had never gotten it quite right. Yet, Queen Chrysalis had discovered a hidden passageway into the castle complex. A spy had been sent in. He didn't disguise himself so that he could blend into the darkness of the caverns. He had been wondering for...quite a few days and was being to feel weak from lack of love.

He was about to give in for the night, or what he assumed was the night by now when he felt an immense amount of love. Some pony with unimaginable love was nearby. He hesitantly followed where the love was located. Wondering what pony could possibly have this much love? Well, it could be Princess Celestia. But he had only seen her once. A while ago. He hadn't seen the sun in a while so he couldn't quite tell when it was.

He turned a corner and saw a pony with multicoloured flowing mane and tail, a crown, golden jewels and wings...with a horn.

Oh, no. It's Princess Celestia...

The Alicorn was frozen in place. She was as still as a stone. She was surrounded by some books and a lamp was lit with a bucket of ash and apples on either side of her. Illuminating the area. She slowly got up and turned around. He couldn't move. He just couldn't move. He was so...scared. He has never felt this...scared before. His mind screamed to run, to kill the Princess and drain the love from her then take control of the kingdom but, nothing. Just nothing!

They stared at each other for a moment. Neither dared to move.

She illuminated her horn and held him in place, he was able to let out a strangled cry as Princess Celestia circled him. Cautiously.

"Are you a changeling?" She asked. He considered lying but it would be a pathetic lie. It was obvious he was a changeling. This must be a test.

"Y-yes." He stammered out.

"Why are you here?" She questioned, narrowing her eyes at him.

"I-I-um..."

She raised back up and her expression softened. That surprised the changeling. He almost felt...safe.

"Are you a spy?"

His silence told her everything. She shook her head.

"I sense you are not...like the other changelings that I have come across. You..want to defect." She concluded. The changeling's jaw dropped in shock. How could she possibly figure that out from...Wait. He looked up at her horn to see the dark yellow magic littered with purple and black moving dots. That is not normal pony magic.

"H-how are you-? That's not normal magic!" He blurted out in growing fear.

"And you're smart." She said with a chuckle. "Strange. How would you...like to become a royal personal assistant to me?"