30 ♛ Growing Feelings

- Li Xun -

"Your Highness, would you consider my daughter for your marriage?"

"Your Highness, we require more funds to build a stronger army. Could you persuade the Emperor..."

Li Xun sighed. The royal blood pulsing in his veins may have brought about his power, but at the same time, it also drew in a masquerade of people pretending to be his trusted servants.

People smiled at him. Praised him. Laughed along with him that he no longer knew who was being sincere. At times, the one with the brightest smile would backstab you when you weren't looking.

They had approached him for one reason.

Personal gain.

Later on, he learnt to distinguish between real and fake smiles. The human's eyes. It would speak the truth.

It was all because of Long'Er and the mask he wore. Li Xun may not be able to see how his lips would pull back to form a smile, but if it was genuine, it would reach his eyes. The skin around them would fold, lighting a spark in those eyes.

And it was because of this, he recognised him in the performance.

When the dancers exited the Grand Hall, the princess, dressed in a beautiful blue dress, entered. Whispers began as everyone stared at her with intrigued eyes, gushing over her dainty face hidden behind a veil.

However, Li Xun knew from first glance that she wasn't his sister.

His eyes narrowed in confusion when the mysterious woman walked up, carrying Li Xue's treasured pipa in her hands. But he didn't recognise her as his sister. She was taller. Her footsteps were calm and confident, her shoulders squared and dignified.

Who was this woman?

Did Chief Eunuch somehow find a replacement?

His questions were soon forgotten. The moment the woman started playing the instrument, her fingers flew across the pipa skilfully, playing each note beautifully. Everyone, including Li Xun, was entranced by the breathtaking song produced from her dainty hands.

In the midst of playing, she glanced up briefly, locking gazes with him. And the first thought that came to his mind threw him off guard.

A set of deep, brown eyes.

Long'Er's eyes.

He cast a swift glance at the same spot where his bodyguard stood earlier, only to recall that the latter had gone to find his frightened sister in the waiting room.

Realisation finally dawned on him. The puzzle pieces started forming together in his head as he recalled the times where he noticed odd, unexplainable things.

He drew in a sharp breath.

Good heavens... Perhaps his hunch was right after all.

His – no – her soft, hazelnut eyes shimmered with allure. Li Xun could not tear his gaze away from their enchantment and he didn't want to. He felt himself drowning into them as the surroundings around them seemed to fade away as if the pair was now standing in a world of their own.

His mind went blank and his heart started thudding faster and louder. A warm, indescribable emotion swept through him that he had never experienced before.

Long'Er was a girl.

***

The moment she returned to the Grand Hall in her guard uniform, he knew. Even as he chatted with his guests, his eyes couldn't seem to leave her. He even noticed Minister Han exchanging words with her. When he left, her eyes glistened, looking as if she wanted to cry.