Begin to see the light

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

❝  To begin to understand something ❞

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

"Speak a bit louder, I can't hear you."

Mikey and I were on our first quest of the mission 'Manjiro's girlfriend era'.

I was in my car outside the store Yuzuha worked at, my ear pressed against my phone, while he wore earphones in order to not give away that he was taking orders from me on the call.

"Shut up, you're deaf."

"That's not how you speak to your lord and saviour—"

I stopped abruptly when I heard shuffling sounds on the other end, with the golden-haired boy's voice sounding suspiciously sweet. It took me a minute to register that he was finally at the billing counter, talking to Yuzuha.

"Ask her name, do it, do it... quick." I spoke in a hushed tone, although there was nobody nearby who could hear me.

"Hey, what's your name, Yuzuha?"

This idiot.

My palm landed on my face, the secondhand embarrassment hitting me like a truck. He had one job...

"...Uh... How do you know my name?"

Yuzuha was a brilliant fighter, so if Mikey made her uncomfortable, whether or not it was intentional, he might end up with a blue face. I warned him, like the good little helper I was, but y'know... we both survived on half a brain cell.

"Say that you saw it on her tag." My frustration did not go unnoticed through my words.

"Ah... I saw it on your tag, you've got a pretty name."

"Oh. Then there was no reason to ask for it, was it?" She laughed a little out of courtesy, but I could see the threat lying behind her facade of innocence very well.

"Tell her your name."

"I'm Mikey, by the way."

"I know. You come here almost every day."

Her response was clipped, but I could only assume that she didn't want to seem rude. She was getting paid for putting up with annoying customers, and Mikey was no different.

"What did you buy?" I questioned.

"Salted chips." Mikey mumbled.

I let out a breath of relaxation. It was remarkable that he actually bought the stuff I'd asked him to get instead of getting lured by the Dorayakis.

"That'd be 300 yen."

"Okay, now ask for her number, and please, please, try to sound a bit charming."

"I don't want the change, can I get your number instead?"

Smooth.

"No."

Nevermind.

"You know what? Get in the car. I'm going inside."

I'd had enough of this. Watching him making a fool of himself was surely amusing, but since I'd given my word that I'd at least be able to help them exchange contact numbers, I had to eat up my desire of enjoying his misery.

I'd no idea why Mikey would trust me with this because I was, myself, awful when it came to flirting.

When I got out, I spotted the blond mop from afar, approaching my car as I walked past him, patting his shoulder out of sympathy.