A bolt from the blue

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

  Something unexpected ❞

˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥

Wisps of hair flowed with the burning zephyr hitting my face. The smoke escaping from the remains of sabotaged stalls made my lungs collapse, as my eyes met a pair of lifeless ones once the fog of grey subsided, the obsidian shade sending shivers down my spine.

Right now, in the expanse of this used-to-be green field, the only survivors were me and the embers dancing on the tragic song of the doomed. I reached out to touch my father's stiff, outstretched hand, bile climbing up my throat. We might not have been the closest, but we were, still, connected with blood. He was still the person who held my hand every time I tumbled.

But he was still the person who chose to run away.

Now wasn't the time to think that.

So it was true, huh. No matter how much hatred was held against the person, if you knew them, you wouldn't be able to accept their death.

That one, catastrophic war between Valhalla and first-generation Black Dragons, took away a part of me. The crimson-painted sea drowned the body of not only my biological father, but a lot of people I'd been acquainted with. A lot of people I, still, was unable to come to terms with the death of, merely because I knew them.

The Red Calamity crushed my childhood to smithereens.

***

The smell of cup noodles wafted my way, my nostrils twitching as I peeked at my surroundings with an eye open, yawning. Hina was eating with one hand, and fanning my sides with another, her brows pinched with concern.

"Good morning, how'd you get in?" I sat up, stretching my arms and giving the worried girl a lazy smile.

"It's seven in the evening, idiot. You were sweating so much. The AC was on, and yet your body was drowned in moisture. Are you feeling alright?"

"Of course, sexy people like me are always alright."

She slapped my arm, a playful grin on her face. I might've fallen asleep recalling one of the worst nights of my life, but the memory was so vague that the pain did not resurface.

I was doing fine with a loving mother who called me every two days to ask if I was doing alright, a friend who was willing to put my interests before hers, and a life I did not abhor.

"You never answered how you got in."

She pulled out a spare key from the pocket of her shorts, as my lips formed into an 'o' at the realisation. I really needed to fix my memory, because I could not remember giving her one at all.

I grabbed my phone from the nightstand, and tried hard to comprehend what was written on the screen with my blurry vision.

you have 2 missed calls.

People never called me.

As I scanned through the notification, I realised that it was Mikey. I was pretty sure he needed another ride somewhere, because he wouldn't stop saying that he'd 'snitch on me' if I wouldn't be his personal driver.

That seriously scared me.

I'd rather not have Hina force me into apologising to that dipshit ever again.

And after all, snitching wasn't anything new for him. In a few days of bumping into his frivolous self.

I dragged my fingers through the screen to call him back, preparing myself to search for valid excuses as to why I wouldn't be able to come.