Chapter Thirty - Serafina

As always, Kingston is full of surprises. I expected us to go to... I don't know where I expected us to go honestly, but it wasn't here. A house- a nice house.

There are orange trees everywhere, making the air smell sweet. Flowers line the pathway toward the front porch. Tiny statues of a gnome family adorn the mulch before we ascend toward the door. Where the hell are we?

He doesn't knock, just opens the door and ushers me inside. The home is beautiful- but not stately. There're kids' baseball cleats kicked off in the entryway and a piano with a book opened for music lessons. It's a home. You feel it when you walk in.

Open and airy, we walk through into the kitchen. It's bright white and sparkling and full of food. Roasted chicken, sauteed vegetables, salads, potatoes, there's too much to take in. I glance up at King, brow furrowed, and wonder what we're doing here.

"Sit there." He nods toward the table.

Confused, I pull out a chair. "Are we... having dinner?" I ask, glancing over my shoulder, back toward the food.

Kingston and I eat together often, because he never lets me out of his sight. We never eat with other people, and we've never gone out for a meal. We've never actually gone anywhere other than his club.

He just nods once and slips out the back door toward a little deck. I can see him talking to a man- a very large man. I've seen him at the compound before. Kingston is equally tall, but when this guy turns, his broad shoulders block him from view.

"Hi!"

"What the fu-" I jump in my chair, turning to look at the little gremlin who startled me.

"Fuck?" she says, raising her brows, setting an iPad down on the table. "It's okay. I'm not allowed to say bad words, but you're an adult so you can say them."

I just stare, blinking a few times, because what the fuck?

Giving a little laugh, I think I might have found the one child I can maybe get along with. She looks too old to be a little girl, too young to be a teenager. I don't really know much about younglings though.

"I'm Elizabella, but you can call me Elie- most people do now."

"I'm Serafina," I say.

"Are you my brother's girlfriend?"

"No." I answer immediately, because I am no one's girlfriend. "Is Kingston your brother?" I ask, glancing out the window.

"Yeah," she sounds bored, "he's my oldest brother."

Interesting. "Why do you think I'm his girlfriend?"

She tilts her head and gives me a look like she's trying to read me. I can tell that this girl is smart. "I've just never seen him with a girl before," she says cautiously. "My mom said-"

"Elie," Kingston snaps, walking inside.

She rolls her eyes and huffs, continuing what she was saying. "My mom said she'll be back in a minute. She heard you're a vegetarian and wanted to make sure we had enough food for you."

I glance back at the counter again. There's enough food to feed forty-eight people. Smiling, I turn back around. "Thanks," I tell her quietly.

The girl has bright green eyes and brown hair like Kingston's. I realize though, that she is actually a tiny version of her mother. A woman blusters in, setting down two overstuffed paper bags on the counter. She's beautiful, with delicate features that make her look like a fairy. She brushes her bangs out of her eyes that are the same vibrant green as her daughter's.

The man I recognized from the club walks in shortly after, carrying four more grocery sacks- two in each arm. He sets them down effortlessly and lifts up her chin for a kiss. She stands up on her tiptoes and smiles against his lips.

I look away, feeling like I'm interrupting a moment, and glance over at King. His eyes are on me and for reasons unknown, I feel heat rise in my cheeks. The gremlin looks between us both and smiles.