chapter three - jesslyn

Start from the beginning

One day, Jesslyn hoped of interning at NASA with the Goddard program. Science, technology, engineering, and math were a secret passion of hers and to have a summer internship to focus solely on that would be a dream to say the least. One of the requirements to get into the program was to design a research or development project, so this daily fifty five minutes was golden in her eyes. Jesslyn wanted to design her project around the effects of different external factors on various antibiotics, to see if their purpose wasn't fulfilled.

Unfortunately, she feared too much that her project was either too basic or complex. Also that she wouldn't get in either way, or someone at school would find out of her works and she would become embarrassed and not want to do it anymore. She always had the thought in the back of her mind that she would never be smart enough, either, straight As mean nothing compared to what other people do and the classes they take. Jesslyn might as well have straight Fs. Bad grades, a bloated and short body, and no one to ever love her. Well there goes, life is rather hopeless. "I am a prime example of how to go from 100 to 0 real quick." Jesslyn thought. She had no faith in herself.

Jesslyn paused her music and slowly raised her hand, "Excuse me, Mr. Williams. May I be excused to go to the bathroom?"

"Of course Jess! Just take your agenda, I won't be bothered to fill out a pass." He replied copying equations on the grand whiteboard. Jesslyn grabbed her agenda and shuffled out of the door adjusting her enlarged cardigan and jeans. Walking down the hall always felt like an execution walk to Jesslyn. It was always empty and bland, white, and she had her vision focused on one thing...the door to the bathroom. It kept creeping closer and closer as she made advancements, bringing her closer to escape. Then, as soon as she reached there, she immediately felt better due to change in scenery.

"Oh no. That is just horrible!" Jesslyn became infuriated at the scene in front of her. Three steps into the restroom and she couldn't even begin to express her growing anger.

"I'm sorry? Is there a problem?" Karen took another puff of her vape and tilted her head to the side.

"Yes! Why are you smoking! Do you know that vape cigarettes do the same damage to you as a regular cigarette. There is nicotine, which can cause dizziness, lowered blood pressure-"

"Same old Jess, I see." Karen cocked her head to the side and rolled her eyes, "I took health class, you know...I know what this stuff does to you - but if you tried it, you would know why I smoke it. Stay out my business?"

"Karen, I am sure it is something amazing but you know what that stuff does after a long time. We have gone through this before...despite anything we have gone through before, I do not want to see your life possibly end early because of a stupid vape. Those are expensive, nonetheless, and you could have bought something nice with that money!" The blonde girl simply stared at Jesslyn and kept taking puffs of her 'faux' cigarette. "Fine. I am going to keep talking since you decided to give me those kind of looks instead of using words. Yes, it is better than tobacco, so I am pleased you went with that alternative, but why damage yourself, still? You are very pretty and I am sure you are smart, you look smart! This will damage your brain cells and skin. Scientists don't even know what some of the ingredients are in them and how they affect you. Scientists!"

"Oh no...scientists...the world is ending because some old white men can't discover two or three things."

"First off. Many scientists are of varied races. Secondly, this means they could be poisonous but you wouldn't know that! You have people very close to you who have gone down this path before, you have gone down this path before. Why would you really want to leave this world and them just to satisfy your needs of poisoned smoke?" Jesslyn was getting restless at this point but she couldn't just let this girl throw away her good health.

"Don't bring that up."

"I've seen what this does to people, you specifically, and I do not want to see it again."

"Now I remember why I stopped being friends with you!" Karen let out a huff and threw her hands up in frustration, "I will put it out if you just shut. Up."

"I will give you ten dollars to throw it out."

"No. Your crazy. Money doesn't get you everywhere in life, Jessy." The girl put her vape away and pushed her way out of bathroom muttering a few choice words, not affecting Jesslyn the slightest bit due to the fact she successfully convinced her to stop smoking. For at least the next two minutes. Better than nothing, though.

-

Dedicated to the lovely Pariahh for the basis of this chapter!(= she is an amazing person, check her out!

gorgeous art to the side by chemicales

the source with more info on her project: http://www.1000sciencefairprojects.com/Biology/Effects-of-Different-External-Factors.php