#5

VALERIE POV

"Can you get table 4 for me?", Laura said, walking past me as her hands were full with the dirty dishes.

"Yeah sure", I said nonchalantly.

I hadn't talked much with Laura since that night. I found out that she didn't go fetch her brother but she went to the bar to get wasted. I knew it was a childish thing to do by ignoring her but I was too upset and I almost died too if it wasn't for Sean. I ignored her for almost a week now but she looked like there was nothing happening. She talked about everything like usual but I only nodded or just agreed to whatever she said.

I worked until 6 today which was a relief. I had exams for next week and I knew I had to prepare now since I was a little behind and with work, I couldn't do it. The cafe wasn't that crowded and my shift would end for another 15 minutes. I noticed that other workers handled the customers pretty well and it seemed that I wasn't needed so I decided to grab one of my books to get a head start to study. I was still reading it for a few minutes until I felt someone tap my shoulder.

"Valerie, get the table 7, will you? It's still work time. You can read once you finish your shift", Mrs. Hardy scolded me, making me nod quickly. She was such a bitch today. I grabbed my notes and walked to table 7 with heavy steps. Life was hard and I needed to endure it. I had to hold on for another year and hoped that all of this would be over.

"Hi, what can I get you?", I mumbled boringly.

"Actually, I just got what I want", I heard him say, making my eyes widened and lifted my head to meet the familiar brown eyes.

"W-what're you doing here?", I stuttered.

"Is that a way to treat a customer?", he grinned.

"Sorry. What do you want to order?", I asked in a more professional way.

"Just coffee", he answered and I wrote it down.

"I'll be back with your order", I said leaving him with a red cheek.

Now he knew where I work. I didn't know why I felt embarrassed about it. I wanted him to be interested in me and I just hoped that he would still want to see me.

I was brewing the coffee when I heard some of the workers talking. "I wonder what he's doing here", I heard one of them say.

"Yeah, he doesn't usually come to a place like this", another one added.

"Do you think they will rob this place?", the other said with a shivered voice.

"Nonsense. They might be bad but I never heard they robbed"

"Uhm, what are you guys talking about?", I interrupted and all their heads turned to me.

"Well, the guy... ",

"Nothing to worry about. It's just a stupid rumour", she laughed and waved her hand like it was nothing.

"Okay. I'll get back to work then", I said taking the coffee to Sean. He was texting someone on his phone and he looked up when I placed the coffee in front of him.

"Enjoy", I said.

"Thanks. It smells nice", he smiled showing his pearly whites. Wow. I didn't know what to say. Instead I stood there like an idiot.

"O-okay", I stuttered and hurried to the back to hide my embarrassment. Luckily my shift was over and I could get away from here.

After I got changed, I went out of the room and headed to the front door. When I glanced at where Sean sat, I couldn't find him anywhere. He'd already gone. Inside I felt sad because I thought I could see him before I went home.