And there I was, sitting all alone at the halte bus, waiting for the rain to stop, making my mood more sour.

After sitting for like forever, I saw a girl running towards the halte bus. She was slightly wet from the rain, obviously coming here for the same reason like I was. She placed her bag on the seat and took off her wet coat, revealing her skinny, petite body. She folded the coat against her chest and sat.

I stared at the sky, grumbling when the rain would stop. I’d been sitting here for almost an hour and the rain was getting heavier. I was thirsty and hungry since I only had a muffin this morning. My body started to ache again, earning a wince from my mouth.

“Are you ok there?” I heard a sweet voice talking. I turned to my right and the girl just now stared at me curiously with her dark eyes. She had beautiful eyes.

I didn’t say anything, still taken back that she would dare talk to me. People in this town knew who I was and they wouldn’t dare to stay in the same place as me, let alone speak to me. When I still didn’t say anything, she came closer to me, making my eyes widen. Was this girl out of her mind? Did she have a death wish?

She sat next to me, examining me with her gorgeous eyes. She then opened her bag and grabbed something wrapped in paper.

“Hungry?”, she offered the wrap to me. I looked at her, shocked. She just offered me some food. One of the deadliest men in the country.

I shook my head no, though I was so hungry. I looked away from her curious eyes, hoping she would leave me alone but my grumbling stomach betrayed me.

“Here, it’s ok. I made it myself”, she said again.

“I don’t want to take your lunch”, I said huskily.

“It seems like you need it more than I do”, she said again, waving the food near my face.

I gave up and took the wrap from her. She smiled as I opened the wrapper, revealing a PB&J sandwich. I wasn’t a fan of it, but for some odd reason, it tasted like the most delicious thing on earth. It made sense though because when you’re hungry, everything seems tasty.

When I finished, she offered me a bottle of water. I accepted it and drank a little. Since I had taken her lunch, there was no way I’d take her drink too.

I turned to look at her but realized she was busy reading a book intently. I could see her frowning at the contents of the book and she looked distressed. I didn’t know for sure but she looked tired. When she realized I had finished, she closed her book and placed it back inside her bag.

“Feel better?”, she said softly. That made my heart melt.

“Yeah. Thanks a lot”, I said groggily. I never really talked to girls. I usually had them underneath me, if you know what I mean.

“It’s no problem”, she said, cleaning up the mess I made.

“I’m Sean”, I offered my hand to shake, something I never did to girls.

“Valerie”, she shook my hand. Her hand was silky smooth.

“I gotta go now. The rain’s almost stopped and I’m late to work”, she said apologetically. “Are you gonna be ok by yourself here?” She barely knew me but she seemed to care.

“Yeah, my friend will come and pick me up”, I said, looking at the clock.

“Ok. I guess I’ll see you around”, she said, leaving me alone. She had her coat covering her head while walking in the rain, which had almost stopped. I watched her until I couldn’t see her anymore.

Valerie. I didn’t know why but I really wanted to know her more. She was sweet and didn’t throw herself at me like other girls I met. When her gorgeous eyes met mine, my heart seemed to beat faster. I never felt that weird feeling, but I really wanted to see her again.

***

VALERIE POV

It was such a busy day at the cafe that I hadn’t gotten the chance to have lunch. Actually I hadn’t had lunch for almost a week now since the number of customers increased everyday. I didn’t eat much in the morning so I’d be starving around lunch.

“Val, can you get table 6 for me?”, Laura, one of the workers, asked me as she took the plates from the counter.

“Ok”, I mumbled. And that was how my day went everyday. I worked my ass off, coping with the rude customers and my talkative boss. I never thought working part time as a waitress would be this stressful.

I went to college in this town. It was considered one of the best schools here and I was so glad that I was accepted since it was a public school, so my parents wouldn’t struggle much for the tuition. I didn’t come from a wealthy family with my dad being  accounting staff and my mom being a housewife. That was why I kept this job, because the salary was pretty good compared to other part time jobs I had previously taken.

I was in junior year at college. The lessons were harder and the professors were meaner in giving homework, making me miserable since I had to struggle to keep up the good grades. My grades might slip a bit, but they were still considered good. My main priority right now was to graduate with proper grades and find a proper job so I could take care of my parents. They had been working hard for me and I didn’t want them to carry those burdens anymore.

Around 6.30, my shift was over and I was relieved a little, only a little. I still had to do my homework for the next day. Once I was in the apartment, I directly went to my room to shower and change. I was about to get into the bathroom when I heard my name being called from the living room.