Chapter 25. Blindsight

Hello my lovelies!~

I'm excited to move on to the next bit of story. Want to know something funny? I sat for 3 hours last night going back and forth with my grandma AND my great-grandmother (who are also published authors) about what to name this chapter. We threw around so many ideas but when we came up with this title, it just clicked in our heads and we knew it had to be Blindsight!~

Question: Are you more of a reader of stories or have you tried your hand at writing? (I have a hard time picking which I like best because I love both!)

Now let's move on shall we?~

                                                                  .-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Sayako POV

I sighed, leaning against my bedroom window as I looked out at the cloud-masked night sky. Not a single star could be seen for miles. I groaned beginning to pout. I spent my days helping out at the clinic, stocking supplies, helping out at the front desk and tending to patients' needs. My nightly routine had consisted of making dinner for our odd little family, cleaning up, making sure Suzi was ready for her academic exams since she was recently made a Genin. And once I was done taking care of everything else, I'd retire for the night into my room where I'd climb out the window, lie on the roof and gaze at the stars. It gave me a sense of solace, remembering the good times I'd experienced in my past of when I'd go stargazing with Itachi.

"What are we doing here?" I asked.

Itachi looked up at the sky then, moving off the path and into the grass and pulling me down onto the ground with him.

"This is the best place to watch the stars at night. It's just far enough away from the market lights that we can see so many of them. Sometimes, when I get back late from a job, I come here and just lie down and look up. It's so peaceful and quiet. I get some of my best thinking done here," he said, leaning back into the grass so that he was looking straight into the stars.

I sighed. 

It had been 3 years...

The night I had gotten my memories back, Yoshito had explained to me that someone had annihilated everyone in my clan except one, a little boy that the village was now in custody of. We had never learned the name of the killer however. All Yoshito had found out was that the attacker too was of the Uchiha clan. I'd easily be able to recognize either the face or the mask that the killer had worn the day I'd been attacked if for some reason I ever came across him.

It had taken me a long time to come to terms with everyone I loved being dead, including the person I spent most of my time thinking about. Even now, thoughts of Itachi plagued me. I tried daily to occupy myself with tasks, patients and my little odd family to keep me busy. For so long I had been baffled that someone could possibly be stronger than the man I loved. I had failed him like I had failed everybody else. 

I resigned myself to the new, weaker version of me.

My new family comforted me to the best of their abilities as I came to terms with my new reality and identity. I'd taken on the name 'Sayako Ryodoka', Yoshito's daughter who had spent most of her life living with her mother in a small town. This version of me wasn't a shinobi and a few times, Yoshito scolded me for using smaller jutsu to help with daily activities. If I succeeded in hiding who I really was, I would have no need for jutsu anymore.

I sighed once again, pulling the wrap off my head that covered my "injured" eye. It had once served a purpose to cover the wound while healing but now was used as a disguise to make me appear different to an outsider. Everything was completely unlike it used to be and sometimes when I'd stop to think about it, I'd remember.