CHAPTER THREE

Agatha sat in the balcony of her house as she sipped her apple drink. Her legs were propped up to the tool in front of her as she stared into the space consumed by her thoughts. The pregnancy hormones did not help matters either.

The sound of the door bell ringing shot her out of her reverie and she stood up and led her swollen body to check who it was. Opening the door, a small smile crept its way onto her face as she saw who it was.

“Uduak!” she basically shrieked, pulling her into a nearly bone-cracking hug. “Please come in,” she gestured, the smile not leaving her face.

“Since when did you become a hugger?” Uduak asked, looking around briefly before dropping her hand bag on the three seater that was placed by the far side of the living room.

  “Since I got pregnant. I’d hug closer if this little one didn’t get in the way.” Agatha said and rubbed her belly. “I’m so glad you could come visit me. I have been so bored in here.”

“I’m here now so there is nothing to worry about. And by the way, pregnancy sure looks good on you.” Uduak complimented.

“Thank you my dear. What can I offer you?” Agatha asked as she stood up and walked towards the makeshift bar in the room.

“Anything is fine mummy-to-be,” Uduak said as she pulled out her phone and briefly glanced at Agatha who was pulling out a bottle of wine and two glass cups.

“You won’t believe my husband wants me to give birth in the US. I would have preferred Dubai but then he is adamant about it.” Agatha said and handed Uduak the other drink.

“It’s a good idea. You are lucky you will not have to give birth here in Lagos not that there are no better hospitals here. And besides, he has the money so let him spend it.”

“That’s true o, Ufan mmi. You are always right. You nko? Where do you plan on spending the summer with your husband?” Agatha asked. That question made Uduak choke on her drink.

“What did you say?”

“I asked where you’ll be spending your summer holiday this year with your husband,” Agatha repeated.

“Oh! We were thinking of going to Paris this time around. You know last year, we visited Dubai but then, Mike is still uncertain sha. I remember he made mention of Seychelles.” Uduak said. Audio summer. Her sub consciousness perked her. She couldn’t open up to her friend that she had never left the shores of Nigeria to even the nearest countries. No one knew. They all thought she was a lucky woman who married a good man that pampered her and took her to places.

“Awwn..., that’s so sweet. I wish my husband would come with me but he says he will join me there later. I’ll be leaving next week. Your husband really loves you.” Agatha said.

“Of course he loves me,” Uduak added, forcing a smile on her face.

“Least I forget, mama Iyabo’s daughter is getting married soon. We need…..” they talked and talked till it got late. When Uduak checked the time, she saw it was already past 8 pm and four missed calls from her husband. She was in deep disquiet. And there was no food too in the house.

When Uduak got back home that evening, she found her husband eating Afang soup and semovita in the dinning.  Did he cook? She wondered.

“Good evening dear,” she greeted and as usual, he ignored her like she wasn’t there. “I’m sorry for missing your calls. I was with Agatha and my phone was on silence.” she narrated to justify herself but still no words came from her husband. She shrugged a short elegant movement of her shoulders and walked into her kitchen trying to unravel the mystery of the food. Who she met there surprised her. It was her mother-in-law.

“Good evening Mama,” she greeted and moved to hug the woman. Now she knew where the food came from.

   “Eh! Sike dah nsan-nsan.” Mama rebuked her. “So this is how you starve my son here in Lagos? If not that I decided to come today, my son would have stayed hungry. Are you now going about sleeping with men in Lagos that you have forgotten about my son?”

Uduak stared at the middle aged woman but no word came out of her mouth. She was bereft of the right words to use and defend herself.

“That’s not true ma. I only went to visit a friend who is pregnant.” she tried to explain.

“Now I know what you do here in Lagos. I warned my son about you but he didn’t listen, now look at what is happening,” Mama murmured and continued, “You went to see your friend who is pregnant. When will I hear you are pregnant too? You have been married to my son for five good years, but I have never heard him say you have taken in. When will I carry my grandchildren from you Uduak? Or are you barren?” Mama asked, standing akimbo and looking in Uduak's direction.

Uduak became weak. She knew this day would come, but she didn’t think it would be soon. How was she supposed to get pregnant when her husband had not touched her for nearly a year and a half. She could be anything but not barren. Medically, she was fit to be a mother, but she obviously can’t impregnate herself.

  “Mama, Mike and I have not…..”

  “Mike and you have not done what?” Michael finally chirped in. The stare she got from him could pierce her forehead.

“Nothing” she whispered, feeling humiliated and exasperated. It was two against one.

“I told you not to marry any woman from Uruan, but you didn’t listen to me. This witch has literally eaten all my grandchildren. It will never be well with you Uduak.” Mama cursed.

Uduak felt the tears in her eyes threatening to fall. Why would her mother-in-law say such harsh words to her?

“I wished I listened to you, Mama. Forgive me for disobeying you. As for you, meet me in the bedroom.” Michael said and led his mother out of the kitchen leaving Uduak there to exude tears.

I'm sure you didn't expect this. Can you guess what will happen in the next chapter?

Please note, this story is not EDITED. T for thanks