Chapter 4

Tanna Carson

I found myself walking through the crowd of people scattered over the dance floor, my eyes landing on Laura walking upstairs towards one of the bedrooms.

I stop for a second, contemplating my options before continuing my search across the dance floor.

"Roomie!" I turn my head to the side to see Reggie sitting on the couch alone, with his phone in his hand. I guess Luke's not with him anymore. "Come say hello to Els!"

I couldn't help the smile that broke across my face at the excitement in his eyes, even when completely drunk and at a party full of people, he still chose to FaceTime her.

I walk behind him, leaning over the back of the couch as Reggie tilts his phone to face me.

"Hey El, I miss you!!" I wave at the screen as soon as I see Ella's face pop into view. "You need to come visit. I'm sure Reggie here agrees."

I see the smile grow on Ella's face as Reggie nods enthusiastically, showing how much he wants her to come visit.

"I miss you more."

"I thought you missed me more." I laugh lightly as Reggie butts into the conversation, pouting at his girlfriend through the screen.

"I miss you the most Reginald." She teases him, even though she genuinely meant it.

It's the best feeling to see him so happy, that's all a friend could ask for.

"I'm going to leave you two alone." I push myself off the back of the couch, about to walk away before turning to face Reggie again. "Hey Reg, have you seen Luke?"

He nods, closing his eyes for a second, seemingly thinking about my question before his eyes pop open once again.

"He went upstairs a few minutes before you got here." My nails dig into my palms involuntarily as the possibilities start to register in my head.

I nod hesitantly, not wanting to show the worry that was slowly building up inside of me but at this point, Reg is far too gone to notice.

"Thanks." I bite down on my bottom lip, trying not to let my mind wander as much as I could.

I trust him.

My eyes skim over the room towards the staircase that I had seen Laura go up no more than ten minutes ago, but that isn't something that should be crossing my mind. It wouldn't be fair of me not to trust him.

It's her, not him.

Without even thinking, my feet start carrying me across the room to the bottom of the staircase, not even giving me time to think before I was already climbing each step, one after the other.

He wouldn't do anything to hurt me.

I know that he wouldn't but why is my mind running everywhere than where it should be.

I shake my head, trying to calm down the overload of thoughts running in my mind as I step up the final few stairs.

My eyes trail down the passageway, landing on some people intertwined with each other against the walls, not even phased by the fact that anyone who walked up the stairs would see them going at it in the middle of the passageway. 

My head snaps over in the direction of the sound as soon as I hear one of the doors open and my feet suddenly feel glued down to the floor.

My eyes trail over every detail, the smudged lipstick, the messed up hair and the dress that was bunched up way too high on her thighs.