Chapter 17: Nightmares Suck

The blonde vampire had another dream about AJ Reed that night. This one started much the same as the last except she knew exactly where they were. They were offstage once again waiting for their cues. Unlike rehearsals, the back lights were off, so they were sitting in the dark. She couldn't see his face but that hardly mattered. She could sense him in every other possible way as if he was a mere extension of herself. When the need to touch him rose, she did not hesitate. She felt in complete control as she slid herself onto his lap. This time her hands slid up under his shirt as he grazed his lips across her cheek.

Her desire was not a sudden hurricane. It manifested as a slow burn, a patient seduction. She lowered her mouth to his neck, but he suddenly twisted his body. He laid her back against the hardwood black floor, his hand in hers with fingers interlocked. She didn't object. A moan escaped when his mouth sought her out again. Sharp pain pierced through the pleasure. The Deorum Irae sunk into her chest and cold, black blood gushed out like spilled ink. In a state of surreal shock, she touched the tar-like liquid that resembled the fallen thrall's blood, staining her fingers.

His breath tickled her ear and even though he had just staked her, his voice still sent a shiver down her spine. "Dust to dust... beati in Deo."

Her fingers began cracking like glass then dissolving into ashy dust. The cracks rapidly infected her whole body. Just when she was about to scream out, her throat was in ashes, too. She woke up gasping and choking on her own bile.

A few days later and Anastasia still could not shake that dream. She thought about it as she drove slowly in the line of cars waiting to be directed where to park by a couple of workers. The haunted house was a spacious farmhouse with a large corn maze behind it. They've never been there before but it had great online reviews.

Pam sat beside her in her passenger seat shaking with anticipation. Her best friend enjoyed these kinds of things and Anastasia didn't really understand why. For instance, Pam would pick out a scary movie when they both knew she will close her eyes through most of it. She was, in summary, a brave chicken.

"I'm so psyched!" Pam exclaimed.

"Yeah, me too," Nastia said dryly, leaning her cheek against her palm with the other gripping the steering wheel.

"You're not still miffed that I invited the hunters?"

"Oh no. Why would I be upset that I must spend the evening with vampire hunters and with one of them being freakin' born to kill me? What made you think that?"

"Okay, you are miffed."

"Stop saying miffed! I'm not even sure it's a real word."

"Someone woke up on the wrong side of the coffin."

No kidding. How could she not? But she was not going to tell Pam about her dream. She sighed heavily. "Sorry. I'm not mad at you. I'm just not looking forward to the passive aggressive attitude I will be getting from both Reina and Ivy tonight."

That was true, just not the whole reason behind her sour mood. It seems half-truths is all I am capable of now.

"I told you I patched things up with Reina. She's not mad at us. She never really was. You know how she gets. And Austin will be here, too."

"Is that supposed to make me feel better?"

"Well, she can't complain about Austin not being here when he is. Maybe she'll annoy you a little less."

"Here's to hoping."

"There is something else bothering you. But you don't want to tell me. I am here when you want to talk about it, Nash. I always will be. You know that, right?"