15. Daylight

Summary:

An interrogation. A phone call trying to mend the past. A word from the BAU. Then a drive back.
Long story short: the time to hash out the past is here.

Notes:

hey all!!!
I know I said 1 or 2 chapters but I managed to fit a big chunk of text - longest I think i've ever written for this story but at least everything ties up neaatly. and ofc im updating in the light of day bcs i have no self-control

TW: spice (includes chocking and a bit filthy and daring lmao - for me obvs bcs its the first time writing sth like this)
a few time jumps as well

(also i did tell u guys everyone in this has daddy issues - you'll see what i mean)

(also this goddamn taylor swift song is so good!!! - i remind you again of the playlist (credits to @ romant1cs from ao3:
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/5j07uDF548hw24O86CODEV?si=GA4zz_AgRJyHUBAdokSL4g

--------------------------------

Hotch drops the files over the table with a thud. He sits down at your right, but your attention is on the man on the other side of the table with his wrists cuffed over it.

"You said it wasn't jealousy" you speak out first. Hotch is letting you lead the interrogation.

Unlike with Francis, and despite your words in front of Poehl Building, he's handing this to you.

What he said about Bridgers had been right. One phone call to him, requesting Francis be released within the day and that the Department of Justice stay out of it – and you have complete jurisdiction.

You'd insisted on keeping the BAU – reinstating them, more like.

"Yes, why not" Nico mocks, "You gave it to me, real good. I didn't like the idea of him getting my seconds."

"Eyes on me" Hotch commands. His voice is harsh and scary and Nico stops smiling. "Don't talk to her like that. In fact, don't talk to her at all."

"Is this because of the promotion? Is that when it started?"

Since finding out you've slept with a bomber, you hadn't allowed yourself to think back to anything other but sending him to prison.

Nico's been patched up. His nose isn't broken but the EMTs said something about cartilage or whatever. You weren't paying much attention to the details.

He seems to follow Hotch's orders because he turns to him. "What does Mister Profiler think? I know you have a motive deduced, right, Mister?"

"It's Agent" you correct. "In fact, Senior Supervisory Agent. Something you won't achieve now, because you decided to go ahead and do arts and crafts with explosive devices"

Another puff of air.

"You're enjoying this"

You let out a laugh, foreign to your ears and loud enough to echo in the small room.

"One of my agents becomes a bomber and you think I'm enjoying this? You bombed a building over us, Nico. Were you hoping I'd follow the rest of the SWAT team in the raid at Hannove's offices? Or did you decide to just go ahead and detonate it before they defused it? Damned be your own health and safety"

Hotch kicks the leg of your chair, trying to pull you back from the anger dissipating out of you. You ignore it completely.

"Do you hate me that much?" You ask slowly. "That you've been so adamant in trying to kill me? Why did you wait until this case, Nico?"