6. Again

Summary:

Another bomb explosion and the difficulty of the case increases - and you notice a new change in your relationship with Hotch

Notes:

hey all!
here i leave u with protective!hotch, and maybe also a chapter that somehow turned small H word this time (H*rny)

lmao i swear i don't do it on purpose but thats what happens when u listen to Again by Doris Day, I guess!! lol

-----------------------------

Captain Harlow of New York PD, empties a satchel of evidence over his desk – spilling photostats of a strangely worded letters they'd received just four hours before the explosion at another office building. Agent Reid picks the letters – two, not signed or sealed – and writes something down in his pad.

First responders are assessing the scene in order identify scene hazards – whether or not the twelve-story high building is prone to structural collapse, if there's hazardous chemicals or secondary explosive devices. Firefighters, EMS personnel, and law enforcement officers swarm the area; while the entire neighborhood is being evacuated. With everyone gathered inside the white tent erected for the superiors to continue heading the investigation, you stand around the captain's desk with the BAU.

You tear your eyes off of the building; the flames on the 10th floor have dissipated but they still won't let anyone inside. This would have been avoided if the captain had told any of you of the letters – if only to make sure everyone in the vicinity had been evacuated beforehand. The anger you feel towards this entire situation you direct to him – a middle-aged, grey-haired man, who Bridgers had once said was one of the best detectives in NYPD he'd worked with in his career. Albeit that fact seems untrue now.

"Why didn't you inform us?" you yell at the man, unable to hold back the emotion in your voice. "You received threats and you didn't think to contact the bomb squad? Or us? This was highly irresponsible and this – " you motion to the view before you, "all of this is on you"

The man flinches, lowering his eyes to the floor. Many of his officers behind him look up at the discussion. "Ma'am we didn't think it would be-"

"That's right" you interrupt, voice even higher than before, "you didn't think! Threats are always taken seriously – it is the one thing your education and training should have taught you!"

"There weren't any victims-"

"And what would you have done if there were?" you continue, "What would your department have said? How would you have faced the families of the those people this morning?"

His brows furrow, his stance switching to one of displeasure. "I don't appreciate your tone of voice-"

"I don't appreciate having someone go against direct Federal orders and withholding information from my team."

Instead of reacting the way you want him to, the man huffs, making a show of glancing around to where you stand.

"What team?" he asks with a small mirk.

You're taken aback at once. Without Nico, Gregson and Francis here – you're aware of how unprofessional your engagement looks.

But before you can say anything, Hotch is at your left, taking a step forward so he towers over the man.

"You're not in any position to address a Federal Agent. I suggest you get a lawyer because the Attorney General of the United States will hear about your obstruction of a federal investigation if not gross negligence."