4. Painfully Obvious

Summary:

A first successful lead and then a night with the BAU makes you realize something new.

Notes:

hey all,
back with a juicy one this time (and updating earlier bcs i want u guys hooked to this story😌

-----------------

The study of the suspected profiles brings you to an individual: Edward Newt, who lived in New Jersey.

"I'm telling you for the last time, Agents" the man says, exasperated, sitting before Hotch and Agent Reid. While Nico sits on the side, you stay standing, looking at the house.

The man – who the BAU's technical analyst, Garcia, and Reid found through extensive internet tracing – had attended a news talk, discussing about whaling laws.

He'd used the same expression on your beam ends in an argument. All of you, lest Nico who you know had a wounded ego over the quick find, were sure he was the one behind the letters. And possibly bombing.

"I have never heard of the ELM"

"Your speech pattern matches the wording in the letters" Agent Reid states.

"I have never seen those letters in my life" the man retorts. "I take it as an offense that you'd consider me a suspect just because I have clearly been outspoken on matters that should trouble us all"

He glances your way once you lean against the chimney. His house is moderate, clean and polished. Not too big or too small. There's no dust lining the surfaces of his furniture. Every element in sight is meticulous. Nothing out of place.

Your eyes meet Hotch's, in an unplanned way, but you're able to read your own thoughts running through his mind: this man behaves like a bomber.

"Mr. Newt," you interrupt, your voice gentle, altering to the three men that have been talking to him insofar, "I recognize your name and title from the 2001 conference on Marine Life Preservation, hosted in Canada"

His eyebrows furrow, eyes darting from the agents to you, not understanding your sudden change in topic.

"Uh, yes. Thanks...?"

You point at one of the photos adorning the marble of the chimney.

"I remember your statement on clearing out the Pacific Ocean – bold, and quite striking at the time."

"My statements do not make me an ecoterrorist, only because they were considered bold"

You pick up the photo carefully, almost too carefully – him standing up next to similarly dressed men – in the lobby of a hotel.

"The opposite, Mr. Newt, I believe what you said was the honest truth"

He stands up, looking at you surprised but still weary.

"You attended?"

"I did" you nod. "My own personal interest lie on environmental issues, the same way yours do. It was a pity your conference three years later was cancelled"

Of course, you'd all gotten this information on the man from Garcia. It's just your own talent in lying that makes you the only one able to say the words with confidence.

"Yes, well" he wipes his forehead, clearly flustered.

What you knew about men such as Newt was that their ego was sacred – and more so their attempt in being taken seriously. His gaze on you doesn't change but Hotch jolts up from his seat, garnering Nico's and Agent Reid's attention.