Chapter 5

"I hate it," Jennie breathed, exhaling what felt like years of built-up lies

"So much." Roseanne looked up at the girl whose face just minutes ago had seemed so happy and carefree.

"I don't hate business," she tried to correct herself. "I hate that I'm studying it." Roseanne gave her a perplexed look, not quite sure what the difference was. "I mean, I just hate that I'm not dancing." Roseanne nodded, understanding the girl's point.

"Did your parents not want you to?" Roseanne asked softly and slowly like one wrong word would set off a bomb.

"No," Jennie quickly shook her head. "No." Then she paused for a moment. She normally hated telling people this, her reason for not perusing the dance career everyone had expected her to have. But she realized she wasn't dreading telling Roseanne. She didn't feel stupid like she normally did. She almost wanted to tell her.

"They never really said that," Jennie explained, almost as slowly as Roseanne. "They just, they love watching me dance. They support it. But I know how much they value education. I've never been the best at school, though, and I always focused most of my time on dancing. But I do alright," she shrugged.

"Alright enough to get into Incheon National University (INU)," Roseanne tried to compliment her, but it didn't help Jennie too much. Jennie was too embarrassed to tell her that both of her parents had attended the school, having plenty of connections to assure Jennie's admission to the university.

"Yeah," Jennie sighed. "Anyway, I mean, I just knew they wanted to make sure I got an education. You should have seen their faces," Jennie says, her voice deflating a little.

"They were so happy when I told them I was going to apply to INU. So proud." She almost looked like she was about to cry, and instinctually, Roseanne reached out and gently placed her hand on the back of Jennie's.

"Thanks," she muttered when she saw Roseanne's sympathetic expression. But Jennie's train of thought was broken. All she could think about was the warmth Roseanne's hand was brought to hers.

"So you can't dance at Incheon?" Oh right, Jennie thought, remembering their conversation.

"Um, well by the time I decided to apply, it was too late for auditions. And when I got in, they kept saying their program was full. I can audition the second semester if someone drops out, otherwise, I have to wait until next year."

"That sucks," Roseanne told the girl. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright," she sighed, looking back at the girl's hand laying on top of hers. Roseanne noticed the girl staring and slowly removed her hand, wondering if she had left it on too long. She had forgotten it was there. It wasn't even her trying to flirt, she was just trying to comfort the other girl.

A few quiet moments passed, both girls feeling the melancholy air lingering around them from their conversation.

"I have a question," Jennie blurted finally out. As soon as she realized how quickly her words came out, her face began to heat up. "Never-never mind," she said slowly. Roseanne could tell whatever she was thinking about was making Jennie really nervous.