CHAPTER 22

JAUDAH'S POV

I woke up next morning only to see that Zain is nowhere to be found. I felt disappointed that he didn't even wish me a happy birthday before leaving the house but the messages I got from my  family & friends made my sad mood disappear.  I felt so relieved that there are people who love and care about me but deep down in my heart, I still wished Zain was amongst them. I  thought he has changed but unfortunately he didn't, he didn't even care about me to remember my birthday.

I went to my room and freshen up before going down to the kitchen to bake my cake, I know it will help lighten my mood. I started mixing the ingredients in the mixer before pouring it into the baking pan and sent it to the oven. I sat down on the kitchen island and started replying to the birthday wishes one after the other, I was almost done when Ammi's call came in, I instantly picked knowing she called to wish me happy birthday.

"Assalamu alaikum Ammi, sabah alkhyr (good morning)", I greeted cheerfully.

"Amin wa'alaikumussalam, eid milad saeid habibati (happy birthday habibati), she said.

"Thank you very much Ammi", I said smiling.

"Alright, I know you must be busy right now, I called to wish you a happy birthday, will talk to you later, take care", she said.

"Bye Ammi", I said and she hung up.

Ya Hydar and Aunty Raheema called right after my call with Ammi, they also wished me a happy birthday and Ya Hydar promised to send  my gift later.

I continued working while receiving calls and text messages, the love I felt from my family and friends made me forget about Zain not wishing me even though I remember from time to time and whenever I do,   I feel a pang of sorrow wash over me.

Before 11am I was done with whatever I was doing in the kitchen, I had my breakfast before going back to my room to freshen up. I had my bath and got dressed in a shinny pinkish gown, I sat down and applied simple makeup on my face looking good as always.

I was taking pictures of myself when I heard a car horn, I rushed to the window to peep and there, I saw my crazy friends alighting from the car Fareeda drove in

I quickly went out of my room and hurried downstairs to open the door for them but they started knocking even before I could reach them. I opened the door widely for them to come in and they all screamed "Happy birthday" blocking my eardrum as they crashed in a tight hug.

"Girls, I can't breathe" I said struggling to release myself from their hold, and fortunately they let me go.

"Oh sorry babe, we're just happy about your birthday, atleast our baby is growing, you've reached the legal age babe, you're now 18 which calls for celebration" Fifi said dragging the 'tion' in celebration.

The others nodded their heads in agreement. I only smiled at their silliness and walked into the house with them trailing behind, they settled in the living room while I switched on the TV before sitting on the couch close to Fareeda.