chapter twelve

TEDDY COULD NOT STOP THINKING

TEDDY COULD NOT STOP THINKING. Thinking about Alex. Teddy could consider himself an expert in feelings (thanks, mom,) and he knew for certain he liked Alex. Alex, on the other hand? Well, Teddy could not tell. After they kissed the night before, Alex made up an excuse about needing rest for training, and ran off. It hurt Teddy a little, but then again, being attracted to the same gender in this time was not something that was normalized.

Teddy was confident in his sexuality himself. He liked whoever he liked. That was that. It likely was not the same for Alex, so Teddy did not bother him. That night, Teddy stayed in the grass, and fell asleep there. That's where he woke up, by Erik shaking him awake.

Erik was surprisingly kind to Teddy. Erik had always struck Teddy as someone who had a lot of anger towards the world, and he factored that harshness into his personality. So, when Erik told the boy that he would be working with him for training, Teddy was a little bit skeptical.

They were in a field, away from the others for privacy. Teddy was staring at the older man intensely, head tilted. "What's up with you?" He finally asked.

Erik glanced at the boy, his arms crossed as he leaned against a tree. "I'm just standing here," He defended himself.

Teddy gave him an unimpressed look. "No shit. I mean why are you helping me with training? Why are you being weird?"

Erik pushed himself up and walked over. The two glared at each other, neither backing down. It went on for an antagonizing long time, until finally Teddy blinked. "Charles said you're a bit.. skeptical," Erik said ominously.

Teddy raised an eyebrow. "Did he?"

Erik nodded. "Care to share?" He asked, almost tauntingly.

Teddy shrugged. Why not? "I just don't think he has what it takes to take out Shaw," Teddy explained despite all better judgement. He glanced to the floor, kicking the grass idly. "I just feel like-" He cut himself off, groaning.

"Take your time," Erik told him calmly.

Teddy sighed. "Charles doesn't want to harm anyone. He wants to be a part of the world, as if man will let anyone who isn't like them do so." He glared at grass, and then raised his gaze to meet Erik's. "Shaw has to die. He's too dangerous to be kept alive."

"I know," Erik said, nodding along.

Teddy was not shocked by the agreement. Erik and Charles had different mindsets. One suffered through war and unimaginable trauma. And the other? Well, he owned a mansion.

"Shaw will die," Erik said sternly, placing a hand on Teddy's shoulder. "I promise you that."

After this moment, the two actually got to training. It went perfectly. Later, everyone was crowded around the TV as President Kennedy did his speech.

"That's where we're gonna find Shaw," Erik stated, gun in hand.

"How do you know?" Alex asked. He was standing as far away from Teddy as possible, which sucked for the brunette.

"Two super powers facing off, and he wants to start world war three. He won't leave anything to chance," Charles stated.

"So much for diplomacy." Erik turned to the five who were standing behind the couch. "I suggest you all get a good nights sleep."

Once everyone split ways, Teddy rushed to catch up with Alex. He couldn't keep getting ignored. "Alex!" He shouted, running to catch up.

Finally, Alex paused, allowing Teddy to reach him. He avoided all eye contact, much to Teddy's disappointment. "What?"

"Will you look at me, please?"

Alex glanced up. He met Teddy's eyes, and found that he could not look away.

"You're avoiding me," Teddy said. It was a mere observation.

"No, I'm not," Alex responded with no second thought. Upon seeing the look in Teddy's eyes, though, he softened. "I'm sorry," He muttered. Suddenly his feet seemed very interesting.

Teddy sighed, running a hand through his hair. "Look," He started, a blush creeping up to his cheeks, "I like you... a lot. And I get it if you don't like me back, but just don't ignore me."

"No... I do like you," Alex said, his voice no louder than a whisper. "I really do, I just... I don't know how to handle my feelings."

Teddy gave a small smile, and took his hands in his own. "Hey, it's okay. We can figure it out together."

And Alex smiled back.In that moment, everything was fine.