ᴛʜᴇ ᴇᴍᴘʀᴇꜱꜱ

Start from the beginning

I brought the card in my hand, flipping the card in reverse. The Empress. Normally the Empress upright represents everything Cordelia is not: Loving, Harmonious, and nurturing. Feminie and sensual, but not smothering.

I wonder, in another universe, if she never met Karlheinz, would she be the Empress upright? Would she not have been provoked to lash out and build this facade to protect the hurt that came with Karlheinz having other wives? That she wasn't enough for him?

I handed Carla the card and silently prepared myself for the encounter. Beatrix warned me about her character and was pleased that she wouldn't have to endure her into death. If Beatrix was in an idyllic garden, then where would Cordelia be situated? The second circle of Hell?

A faint glow came from the items before it erupted into a flame like energy again. The door was open and all I had to do was walk through it.

Carla motioned his head towards the light, too focused on the magic casting to waste his breath.

I took a deep breath and stepped in. I immediately looked down at the deep purple velvet carpet leading up the polished marble steps to the single throne.

I stood still for a couple of seconds, taking in what was going on around me. This was some kind of throne room, but it felt so empty.

It was dim around the corners of the room, making it hard to make out what was residing where the eyes couldn't see. Candles lit the room instead of natural lighting, adding a pale yellow hue to the ominous aura. This was nothing like where Beatrix was. If that felt like paradise, this feels like prison.

Morose feelings crept into my psyche, casting their anchors and taking over for the time being.

I would like to get out sooner than later, thank you very much.

I looked forward at the throne hosting the woman with an expression that found this all too amusing.

I hardened my gaze trying not to show any reaction she might manipulate somehow. Honestly, she was captivating. Her emerald eyes were alike Laito and Ayato's, but her hair was the same amethyst hue Kanato had. A crystalline woman.

Her smirk showed her interest however her head was tilted, supported by the knuckles or her fist presenting a casual feel.

Nothing about this could be casual though.

She looked expectant of something like she knew what I was here for. Like she knew everything about me, and wants to know more. Is this the charm she was able to wrap people around her fingers with? It'll only take one look at this seductress to get them to start digging their graves.

It's interesting, she's the vampire yet I feel like I'm the one who's tasted blood.

"Cordelia?" I call out, wondering just how to introduce myself.

"Yes?" She responds, her honeyed voice coming out positively saccharine. She narrows her eagle-like eyes. "You know my name but I do not know yours, that's hardly fair, isn't it?"

"I'm Sayaka Ichigo," I revealed. "I came to ask you some questions."

Her eyes widened slightly before her grin grew wider. She made a motion with her fingers beckoning me to come closer. "Come, let me see that face of yours."

I stepped up the stairs and in front of the throne keeping a reasonable distance between myself and her. Cordelia is not to be trusted, I need to remember that, but if there are no other leads, then this is what I have left to cling onto.

"Oh my," she commented, eyes raking over my form. "You must leave quite the impression, don't you?"

I can't help the heat that erupts on my cheeks, looking down at my shoes. How do I respond to that?