Orientation

Note: eyyyy I'm finally getting some reads on this, over here on wattpad that is. My little experiment currently compares this work over three fricken sites -_- so far Ao3 has gotten me the most attention to this piece which I'm working so f-ing hard on T_T

Today was looking swell; not a cloud in the sky to hold back the reigns of the beating sun. The air was perfect, not too humid, not too chilly. The ideal conditions for orientation. Above everybody, there was one boy who was looking forward to not seeing his roommate for the several hours he'd be in class. Chuuya strutted down the halls of the building and towards the large auditorium filled with lingering freshmen. It was no surprise his roommate hadn't shown up, after last night even Chuuya had weighed this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity with staying in bed. The blasted brunette had kept him awake all night, he'd almost gathered the confidence to slam on the door and scream at him and whoever he'd brought to bed at one in the morning. Despite the lack of sleep, he still looked runway ready, thank whatever being is out there for the gift of concealer and skin products.

With the sound of chatter spilling out from the open doors, Chuuya looked along the sea of heads, nameless faces he'd never know. Except just past the fourth row of seats, just before the people blurred together in masses, he swore the semi-unique style and mess of pink hair was recognizable. For a second, his heart had begun to spin, and his stomach drop before losing sight. Plenty of girls dyed their hair in college just because they could. Plus, the little half up half down things Yuan (a friend who aided in his high school humiliation), wore was a common style. It was different, but he'd seen a handful of people wear their hair that way. Hell, he'd worn his hair like that once, just to see what he'd look like. There was a light tap to which the unexpecting ginger jumped before turning to see a blond. Her hair up in a bun, clothing strictly professional. "Are you looking for somebody?" Her voice was slightly authoritative, but also chipper.

Chuuya shook his head with a sigh as he looked back over the crowd. "No, I didn't come with anybody I know, so I'm just looking out, trying to find where I'll fit in." Chuuya rubbed the back of his neck almost nervously.

"Really, you're worried about finding a group when you look like that?" The female asked. Her eyes trailed him up and down with a snicker as she looked over the crowd. "I suppose it is a little overwhelming though, being in a new world like this. I'm Higuchi by the way."

"You can call me Chuuya. Nice to meet you Higuchi." smiling faintly, the blonde nodded heading off to find a seat. "Uh, hey, mind if I sit with you?"

Higuchi turned back to Chuuya and brought her hand to the back of her neck. "Uh sure, as long as you don't try to hit on me." Her voice was sarcastic, so Chuuya returned it with a remark of his own.

"Eh, if I weren't strictly into guys, I might have." Higuchi looked him up and down before nodding with a snicker.

"Ahh, so that's the vibe you were giving off. Short, dresses fancy, you're one of the rich gays right?" Chuuya rolled his eyes before crossing his arms with a small chuckle.

"I'm not that short or rich, just a little well off." Higuchi shook her head as they found two seats and sat next to one another until the orientation started.

Chuuya was a person who needed something to grab his attention, or he got bored. This orientation was the most boring part of college so far. So, like most bored, sleep-deprived students, he drifted off, his hat tipping just over his eyes. He stood out among the crowd, but it was something he'd always do. He was extraordinary when it came to fashion taste, he took pride in every detail of an outfit. Most of his clothes were self-made as well.

Shaken awake by a light tap, Higuchi snickered at how hard it was to wake Chuuya. "Huh, oh shit, I fell asleep..." nodding Higuchi flicked her new friend's forehead.

"Here's my number, we should hang out sometimes Chuuya. You seem like a cool friend." Chuuya nodded, standing up. He entered his number into her phone before walking off to his dorm.

Half expecting to hear the sounds he'd been tortured with the past week, he entered the dorm timidly, only to see Dazai chilling on the couch scrolling through his phone. "Chibi, you're wearing your tacky hat again! I should start calling you hatrack, maybe Chibi hatrack!" Dazai called out with hidden amusement.

The ginger standing in the doorway much preferred when they were not on speaking terms. With that thought, this was the first time Dazai had talked to him since Chuuya bashed his fist into the taller male's face. "I swear, you call me that one more time I'll break your nose with enough force, you'll need surgery to fix your pretty- ugly face." Chuuya slightly swore beneath his breath, cursing himself out the slip that had almost happened, pretty ugly wasn't suspicious, just a bad insult to cover an almost-compliment.

"Awww but Chuuya!" rolling his eyes, Chuuya walked to the fridge to look through it.

"Where were you anyway? I mean you had to have something important to miss orientation your freshman year. Nobody's that dumb." Dazai rolled his eyes in response as he fanned a hand over his heart.

"I have a friend here who I wanted to talk to, you know catch up with. We played chess and some mind games." Chuuya snickered looking back at Dazai as he pulled things from the fridge.

"Oh, so another moron who has IQ yet is somehow a dumb-ass." Dazai stuck his tongue out, shaking his head at Chuuya's attempted insult.

"Wow, such low expectations of me! I'll end up at the top of our class within a week, so I don't qualify as a dumb-ass." There was a confident tone within his voice. The truth behind that confidence was the knowledge that it something he very well could do. "Plus, I'm sure the students in the year above would disagree with you, Chibi. Fyodor happens to be the top of his class, in several professional orchestras, has composed for said orchestras, and has an ever-growing fan base with the girls despite being openly gay. Well, there is that Ranpo kid who's way too smart for anybody's good, but I think he's in his senior year." Chuuya clicked his tongue while staying silent. He knew very well not to argue with either of those facts. Instead, he attempted to plainly ignore Dazai for the time being, classes started in two days. He just had to bear with Dazai's insults for another two days.