33 - Paparazzi

We both unpacked all of our clothes, hanging them in the spacious golden closet. I still had a difficult time registering the extreme wealth that the Capitol's economy brought. Of course it had always been extravagant, but now, it was much more than that.

Peeta was flabbergasted by the huge seventy inch television that took up the whole wall of the living room. There were dozens and dozens of shows and podcasts to watch. Murder shows, history shows, cooking channels even, and the news including the godawful Capitol News.
Room service was over-the-top. Menus and menus full of meals that all seemed fantastic. Malted custard French toast, pork rillette hand pies, lamb salad with fregola. Much, much more. Half of the words I couldn't even pronounce properly.

Peeta and I sat out on the balcony as sunset began to set in. Nothing could beat the sunset in the meadow, but the Capitol was nearly just as beautiful. My stomach started to growl with hunger and I realized I hadn't eaten since the morning.
Peeta looked at me. "I'm hungry, too. We should order something from room service soon."
"Yeah, if I only knew how to read that menu. Most of it is French."
The phone rung loudly before Peeta could reply.
"Maybe that's room service. I'll get it."

I could hear his voice perk up at whoever was on the line. "Effie, hey, how are you?"
Effie?
I got up from the chair and walked to meet Peeta by the telephone. I could hear Effie's exuberant voice from where I stood.
"How did you know where we were staying?" Peeta asked. We huddled closely together to hear her answer.
"My good friend works there and she notified me you two were spending your second honeymoon there. Oh, how romantic!"
I rolled my eyes.

Effie continued, "You two are all over the news, and I mean all, all over. It's wonderful! Anyhow, what's the room like? Isn't that hotel just beautiful!"
"It's really something else." Peeta laughed.
"Where's my dear Katniss?"
"She's right here."
I shook my head but Peeta already handed me the phone. "Hi, Effie."
"Oh, hello dear!"
I pulled the phone away from my ear as she yelled into the speaker.

"It's good to talk to you."
"Yes, I agree!"
Before I could reply, a loud, continuous knock came bursting on our door. Peeta and I jerked our heads around at the same time.
"Geez. Who is that?" Peeta asked, walking towards the door.

"Careful, it might be the--"
Paparazzi.
The moment Peeta opened it, bright blinding flashes shot at us. I shielded my eyes and quickly turned my back to them. Cursing under my breath.
"Effie? We have to call you back." I hung up and looked at Peeta who was closing his eyes tightly.
"Ow. Those cameras blinded me."
"The hotel was supposed to keep it a secret. We told those people!"
Peeta was blinking his eyes. "I don't think they were sincere."
"Great. Now the word's out. Great."

I ran to the balcony and peaked my head over the railing, an entire mob was below us, pointing cameras upward, cheering our names. "God, they're everywhere!"
"Let's wait it out." Peeta said calmly. "They have to leave at some point. We'll order room service and stay in the rest of the night. Hopefully tomorrow there will be less of them."
I sighed. "Fine, I highly doubt it though."
I was right, because they never went away.

Room service had come and the food was delicious, but the screams of our names from outside the door made things unsettling. Peeta kept me calm, but not for long.
They were still outside, also yelling our name, by the time we went to sleep. It sounded like even more had come. My nerves were quickly wearing thin. "I can't handle this anymore. The hotel isn't even doing anything about it." I said as we laid in bed.
"They'll go away." That was what Peeta said every time.
"No," I shook my head intolerantly, "they'll wait it out until we walk out and bombard us with questions. This is the Capitol after all."

Peeta sighed. "Well, what can we do?"
I shrugged, beginning to panic. "Leave."
"We paid hundreds to stay here. Leaving would be pointless--they'll still follow us."
"I don't care. We can go to a better hotel; one that doesn't allow this. We deserve a refund."
"Where else could we go then?"
I shrugged. "How about we stay at Effie's. She's probably lonely."

Peeta laughed at the thought. "If that's what you want."
"Anything over this." I rolled my eyes, still hearing the voices of paparazzi call our names. They were relentless.
"How will I be able to sleep?"
"I'll help you sleep." Peeta said, wrapping his arms around me in a tight hug that eased my anxiety. "Don't worry."