22.

Rosie

It's the day of the funeral, and I can't face it. I've been sat on the end of my hotel bed for about an hour just staring into the distance. Lando left to get us some breakfast a few moments ago but I know he is giving me some space. We are in Chartres in France and it feels surreal being back here as I spent a couple of sumner holidays here with Charles, Pierre and Anthonie. My heart aches and I know it's that feeling of never seeing him again. I jump as the door swings open and I see Lando with a bag of pastries "hey RoRo you need to eat" he tells me softly passing me an almond croissant, I reluctantly take a bite just to appease him. The last week has been horrible, Williams have placed me on compassionate leave for two weeks and I know I need to be focused when I get back in the garage as it's Monza, my last race.

I spot Charles as we take our seats in the cathedral, he refuses to meet my gaze. I've really needed him over the last week and I know he needs people too. He won the race at Spa and I have never felt as emotional as I did when he dedicated his win to Anthonie. He has such incredible mental strength and I know this win will always mean so much to him. I shake my head and grab Lando's hand. The service was beautiful and I spent all of it silently crying. Pierre came over to see us and apologised on behalf of Charles who is still not speaking to me.

One week later - Williams

I have a meeting with Claire at 12pm as I need to discuss the plan for after my maternity leave so that the team can be prepared. I'm not sure if I want to come back to races or if I just want to be in race control back at the factory. I push away from my desk and go to grab a snack before heading to my meeting. The cravings have definitely begun and I currently want banana and peanut butter pretty much all of the time. I walk into the cafeteria and grab a banana and a decaf tea before making my way to Claire's office. I knock gently on the door and she shouts for me to come in "Rosie! Good to see you" she smiles softly "it's good to be back" I say taking a seat at the desk. "How are you feeling?" She asks and I tell her how my hips have started aching causing her to share her pregnancy symptoms. We have a good laugh before she turns serious "okay so I know you will be here till your maternity leave in December but what do you want to do going forwards?" She asks "well I'm not sure if I want to be part of the race team as I won't be home enough" I say and she nods "i understand, what about if we just put you in for European races?" She questions and I hadn't realised this was an option "oh! That could absolutely work" I say and she smiles "perfect! You and George work really well together so we can't really afford to lose you from the garage completely" she tells me

I walk through to the garage and spot Jake working away on the chassis with Adam "Hey guys!" I shout grabbing there attention "Rosie! You are back" Jake shouts before running over and wrapping me into a hug "I am! I've missed you" he smiles softly "how are you doing?" I shake my head "I've had my cry for today" I tell him off "okay! How's things with Lando?" This causes me to pause "okay but it feels more like friends living together" he nods sympathetically "perhaps too much damage was already done?" I shrug not knowing the answer "well I still want to try, I do love him" Jake already knows this "oh! How did your scan go? I haven't had a chance to ask with everything going on" I grin "I was going to find you in Spa, I'm having a little girl" he squeals loudly "this is incredible! I can't wait to style her" he claps his hands together and I laugh "how's things with your Ferrari Beau?" I ask and he turns a deep crimson "well actually I have some news! I'm moving to Ferrari next season" my heart sinks but I know I can't be selfish here "that's incredible Jake, what an amazing opportunity for you" I tell him and he smiles at me "thanks Ro you know I don't want to leave you but this job means I can move to Italy and see Andrea so much more" I know how in love with him he is so I can't get in the way "I know! Jake you don't need to justify things to me" he nods and I realise the time "I need to get on or I will never get home" I say goodbye to Jake and make my way back to my office.