Enemy Of The Enemy

Start from the beginning

"And how convenient too. As a dragonlord, I'm sure you could manage to forge such a weapon."

Merlin furrowed his brow. "A what?"

"A dragonlord."

"I... no... I don't know what that is, I think you've got it wrong-"

"Don't play games with me, Emrys! Morgana told me everything. Emrys is a dragonlord."

"How can that be?! I don't even know what that is!"

She narrowed her eyes. "Remember who's lives you're bargaining, warlock."

"I swear to you on Gaius' life, I know nothing about dragonlords. I've never even heard that word before!"

She turned away, deep in thought. "Interesting... interesting..." She suddenly turned back. "Where would I find your parents, boy?"

Merlin began to panic. "No, please I-"

"Answer the question!"

"Please, don't hurt my mother!"

"No... no... it wouldn't be your mother. What about your father, where is he?"

"I've never met my father. He died before I was born."

"Died... or left?"

"I- he- I don't know..."

"Where would I find him?"

"I don't know!!"

"Who would know?"

"How many times do I have to say it?!"

Morgause pinched the bridge of her nose. 

"Do you still need my help?" Merlin asked sarcastically. 

Both jumped at the sudden knock that pounded on the door. Merlin took a deep breath, ready to cry out for help, but Morgause was quicker. She shoved the gag back into his mouth causing him to cough and splutter. 

"You will not say a word!" she hissed.

<<>>

Arthur paced outside his father's chambers, debating whether or not he should disturb him. It was late. Very late. The servants and the nobles had already retired to their respective chambers, but Arthur couldn't sleep, not after his ordeal, not when he knew Merlin was out there somewhere, battered or dead. Not only that, but he hadn't seen his father since the attack. No matter what Gaius said, he was sure his father would want to speak with him. The flickering candle light that filtered under the door indicated that the king was still awake. 

He knocked on the door. "Father? It's Arthur. May I come in?"

There was a shuffling from inside, then silence. 

"Father? I know you're there. I... I need to speak with you."

Heavy footsteps approached the other side of the door.  It swung open, revealing Uther's pale form. He was still dressed in his day attire, chainmail adorning his chest and a crimson cape billowing behind him. 

"Are you not... tired? Shouldn't you be resting...?" Arthur asked him. 

Uther looked down at his appearance, then back to his son. "I... I couldn't... I mean, I was."

"Right..." Arthur said, slightly concerned. His father was rarely a man of few words. "Are you feeling alright?"

"Yes, I'm perfectly fine. What is it you wished to discuss with me?" 

Arthur tried to indicate that he wanted to come inside, but his father didn't budge, standing stiffly to block the door. "Father, may I come in?"

"I'm afraid not. I was going to retire soon."