Chapter 35 - A Piece of Home

The next few days flew by in a rush. Since Derek and I were both leaving soon, I decided to throw a going away party. Elian offered his house as a venue, since Mrs. Hill would not allow that many people in her house. I knew. I asked.

As we were setting up for the party, I realized the house was so clean. All the stacks of old mail, magazines, and newspapers had vanished. The knickknacks that once littered the shelves had all but disappeared. The house was practically empty, except for the furniture. Elian really had been keeping himself busy. While I spent my days at the pharmacy, he'd been here, ridding the house of every trace of his grandpa. How had I missed that?

Elian spread a tablecloth over the dining table before laying out the food that we had brought in from cafe. Cathy gave it to me for free as a going away present.

When I mentioned my observation, Elian laughed at me and kissed my cheek. "What did you think I did all day?"

I shrugged. "I don't know."

It was odd. As much as I thought about him in his absence, I never gave much thought to how he filled his time.

"You are so oblivious." Elian wrapped his arms around me. "It's a good thing you're sexy."

"I'm sorry."

He kissed me, holding me tighter.

After the kiss, I hung my arms around his neck and said, "I don't know how I ever lived without that."

"Now, you don't have to."

When the doorbell rang, Elian pulled away and crossed through the living room to answer the door.

Mom walked in, a pan of her famous brownies in hand. She gave Elian a one-armed hug. Ray squeezed by behind them. He walked over and greeted me, handing me a gift bag. "That's a going away present."

"Can I open it?" I asked.

"You'll have to ask your mom."

I lowered my voice so Mom couldn't overhear: "Whipped already and you haven't even got a ring on her finger yet."

Ray stuffed his hands in his pockets and grinned. "I'm not responding to that."

"That's probably smart."

Mom and Elian walked over. I raised the bag for him to see. "I got a present."

"Good for you."

"Well, aren't you going to open it?" Mom asked.

Ray and I shared a look and smiled. I nodded. Digging through the tissue paper, I felt a hard metal box. I found a handle and pulled it out. "Did you get me a toolbox? Because I'm not handy at all."

"Do you really think I'd buy you something that practical?" Mom asked.

When I got the box out and saw the front, I couldn't help but smile. It was a case of assorted nail polishes.

Mom gave a small shrug. "I figured since you won't be working at the pharmacy, you'll need a supply to keep up your nails." There was a thickness in her voice.

"I love it." I put the box on the table and hugged my mother. Her shoulders shook with silent sobs. I felt a tiny spot of wetness on my shirt where she pressed her face against my chest. "I love you."

"I love you, too, Stevie." She squeezed me extra tight before releasing me. She went over to snuggle up to Ray's side. He offered her his handkerchief before he wrapped his long arm around her. She looked so tiny next to him. I suppose she was tiny no matter who she stood next to, but it seemed especially significant today.