Part 2, Chapter 6 "Dreams Pt. 2"

Start from the beginning

I looked around. Everything was exactly the way it was before.

I clenched my fists. "No. I can't be here." He turned to face me and cocked his head to the side. "And why not?"

"Because, it hurts. It hurts knowing that I'll never really have this."

He calmly floated towards me and took my hands.

"You have this now."

I shook my head. "But it isn't real."

He looked down and sighed. "I know."

He lowered himself to the ground so he was standing. "But, I'm dead, L. This is the best I can do."

I could feel more tears fill my eyes. Ugh, I hate crying. Especially in front of people. It made me feel weak.

I think he noticed. He looked a little guilty. "I'm sorry, L. I can't help that you dream of me." I shook my head. "I just wish I could see you. The real you."

He sighed, and sat down. Then he looked up at the night sky again.

That beautiful night sky.

"You know, this all may not be real, but your mind came up with this. So, everything here is made up of real memories." I cocked my head to the side. "Huh?"

He smiled and pointed at the stars. "When you get out of that cell, take a look at the night sky. See if you can see my star."

I looked up at his bright yellow star.

"In the real world, you can look at my star. And I can look at yours in this fictional world."

I smiled, before frowning again. "That doesn't change the fact that you won't be there." He looked down to the side.

"I know."

We both waited in silence for a minute.

"Even though I'm not real...." He started. "These feelings are....right?"

I shook my head. "I don't know."

He looked back up at the sky. "Why can't we just enjoy the time we have together now? I mean, why should it matter if it's real or not?"

I sighed and looked away. "Because it'll only make the fact that you aren't there sting more."

He smiled. "But I will be there. I'll always be with you. Wherever you go. I'll be right there, watching you. Waiting for you." He pointed to the star.

He took my hands again. "I'll be here whenever you close your eyes. I'll be here whenever you drift off."

"But it's not you." I muttered.

"I....I just want the real thing."

He pulled me into a hug. "I know."

Every night I'd go to that place, and every morning I'd wake up, knowing none of it was real.

"It's been two weeks." Dimentio started one night. "Huh?" I responded. He shrugged. "It's been two week since you sent the toad Captain to Chapter 6. She's probably already on her way back. Your escape is nearing."

I let out a breath. "Oh. Right."

I never told him about that. Another reminder that he's simply apart of my mind.

"When your free you'll look for my star, right?"

I nodded. "Of course."

"Good."