Thirteen - "Let's not talk about Gale."

The walk through the mall to the cell phone kiosk was fun, but quick. The cell assistant suggested that I should get a new phone so ‘whoever’ was tracking me would no longer be able to track me. When I briefly explained the scenario to the cell assistant, I could tell he was somewhat surprised by the whole story, but as a sales associate he kept his own personal bias to the side and helped me find a new phone.

I ended up going with the iPhone 6. Seeing as I’ve had apple products for the past 6 years why should I change now. The bill was a hurting chunk taken from my bank, but hopefully nothing a couple more nights with tips at the pub that couldn’t fix.

The whole time we was in the cell phone kiosk, Finnick was scanning the place to see if Gale was in sight. I mean, I think we should let Gale off the hook. He did apoligize, through text. But he still did apoligize. Plus, Gale is still going to be to the wedding to if we just avoid him until then it’s going to make things a 100% worse. Maybe I should just talk to Gale. By myself.

Now that places me where I am now.

Sitting inside the mall’s food court with Annie, Fin and Peet. Peeta, I mean.

Annie, Fin and I are commuting around a small round table that fits just four. Finnick on my left, and Annie on my right, leaving the empty space across from me for Peeta who is currently in line at Starbucks getting us all coffees, or whatever people get at Starbucks. I haven’t been one to usually buy from there, I just get my own coffee at home.

His treat he said. How much money do you want to bet that he’s still trying to suck up for slamming on the breaks and me smashing my head in the dashboard? 20, going 40, going 80, going 100? Sold.

From the round table were sitting at I can see Peeta off in a distance underneath the Starbucks sign. He’s wearing a black V-neck t-shirt with khaki pants. The pants shape his legs like you wouldn’t believe, I don’t think I’ve even noticed how muscular his legs are until now. He shifts his weight from leg to leg as he waits for our order, looking very impatient. His t-shirt is tight, but in my opinion I don’t think a t-shirt could be tight enough on him. I continuing scoping him as I meet his face looking back at me between the rushes of the crowd. Great, how long have I been checking him out? No, better question. How long has he noticed me checking him out? He’s smiling, and I can see him laugh and look down as he shuffles his feet. Wow, way to go Katniss. Mellark thinks you’re a creep now. Way to go.

I don’t even have time to blush when I’m snapped back to reality. “Katniss,” Finnick calls my name while waving his hands in my face. I smack his hands out of the way and giggle.

“What?” I snap back at him.

“What are you looking at? What do you see? Is it Gale?”

Man, Finnick worries way too much.

“What? No you fool. Stop worrying about Gale. This mall is huge, we probably would never run into him in here. Besides can we just like not talk about Gale for a minute. I don’t want to think of him.” I look down to my watch that is only covering half of the bruise and toy my thumb over the pertinent black mark

If anyone asks I could pretend that I fell down the stairs, but that would never work because the appearance of the bruise is in an obvious hand grip. I don’t even know where to start when it comes to telling my mother, especially Prim. Prim looks up to Gale as a big brother, I’m sure she would not be very happy if I just stopped hanging out with him and bringing him over to the house without an explanation. But on the other hand I don’t want to tell my younger sister that I was physically abused by Gale.

Gale. Oh Gale. I’m sure there’s a reason why he’s acting like this. I mean I’m sure love could drive a person crazy. Maybe Gale is just being thrown in the dirt. I don’t think this is entirely Gale’s fault. Maybe this is all my fault.