Chapter 2: the woods

This happened around when I was nine. My mom was at the house at the lake and I told her I wanted to go hunting on my own. I was about a mile away from the lake house when I see a track of wild dog prints in the ground. I walk on the tracks and they lead me to a puddle of blood. Before I can stop myself I scream.

Diana's hunting outfit at the age of nine

Adrien's hunting outfit at the age of nine

"Mom!" I yell. I think I caught the attention of the beast. It turns its head and starts running after me. I run and find a good tree to climb not too far from where I found the beast. It tries climbing behind me but can't get up two feet. It walks back to his dinner and I follow it from jumping from tree to tree. I find them and see a boy with blonde hair and bright green eyes reaching for an ax. He is covered in blood. The dog is about to bite off the boy's leg and I use my bow and arrow and shoot the animal straight in the heart from his back. Just to make sure the animal is dead I throw my sword through its back too.  I pull my hood over my head and jump out of the tree. The boy stares at me with astonishment. I try not to make eye contact but I glance at him a few times while wrapping his leg. It was bleeding because the animal scratched him. When I finish I stand up and grab my bag and use my courage and talk to him. 

"You better change that bandage at least twice a day and keep it on it for three days. What were you doing here in the woods?" I ask. I try to make my voice sound low so he doesn't recognize me.  

"I was doing my usual wood cutting. I have been coming out here to get wood to sell at the hob. What are you doing here?" He asks. 

"My usual hunting," I say. I start walking away when he asks me something. 

"Can you tell me your name?" The boy asks. "I will tell you mine,"

"I can give you the first letter. D," I say. 

"Well I am Adrien and thanks again for saving me," Adrien says. 

"See you around Adrien," I say as I walk away. 

"You too D," Adrien says. 

I walk back to the lake house and my mom and I walk to the hob. They found a new place to put it after the peacekeepers burned down the first one. As we walk around, people tell other people how a boy came in with his usual amount of wood and was hurt. People say he was saved by a girl with a bow and arrow and a sword. We get home around dinner and my mom looks at me with confusion on her face. 

"What was everyone talking about at the hob. Did you save a boy?" Katniss asks. 

"I did, yes. Are you mad. I covered my face but he could probably tell from my voice that I was a girl," I ask my mom. 

"No you did the right thing," Katniss says. She pulls me into a hug and we go have dinner with the rest of our family. 

The next day kids are asking Adrien about what happened to his leg. He kept telling people he was trying to use his dad's picket ax and cut himself. During lunch, he walks by me and we have eye contact for a few seconds and walks away. Somehow I knew I had feelings for him then. 

Diana at the age of nine

Adrien at the age of nine