The Off Season by J. Cole

Video above: The Off Season Documentary

Something is interesting about "The Off Season" by J. Cole

"The Off Season" Album Cover

After three years, J. Cole finally dropped his highly anticipated album, The Off-Season on May 14, 2021. What makes it interesting? The following points will show how it is interesting.

J. Cole dropped the Applying Pressure Documentary on YouTube

Before dropping the album, Cole has made some valid points on what to expect in the album. For instance, he gives a reason why the album is called, "The Off Season."In his conversation with 21 Savage on the Off-season documentary, J. Cole said:

"I had a mixtape called the warm-up. At that time I was tryna get a deal. I was like I thought I was gonna get this deal with somebody because my music was good and I had little connections to the industry but also I had graduated college. I was broke nigga I was struggling to pay my rent, I had no job and I was kinda being complacent because I had crazy music and I was kinda chilling like as if it was good enough to get me where I need to go and I had a realisation......"

There was an intervention where the people he was hanging around with said something to Cole. They said, "you want to do music yet you're partying." Cole had a realisation that he had to sober up quickly and that's when he started thinking about basketball. He thought about the reason why he didn't put any work into his music hence that's how he came up with the mixtape, "The Warm-Up." Every day he woke up and wrote verses, made beats. Therefore, as Cole puts it, "the off-season is the same concept". The off-season is more like the mixtape the warm-up. This clearly shows that he has put work into his craft.

In the documentary, Cole talks about other important issues such as comfort being his enemy and how he had to have a schedule where he had to make time for his family. The documentary also hinted at some tracks that are available in the album. These include The Climb Back and Applying Pressure.

In terms of track, "Applying Pressure" the hint is shown through the title of the documentary, "Cole - Applying Pressure: The Off-Season Documentary." Moreover, Cole actually played his other track, "The Climb Back" in the documentary as he gives insightful words. He said:

"When I really fell in love with rap, it was just a matter of sport. I started realising the parallel between the rapper for me and basketball. I gotta operate at a high skill level and the only way to operate at a high skill level is putting in the hours"

He put in the hours of the album hence why most listeners find the album interesting. There are so many important details found in the documentary. If you haven't watched it, you can click the link after finishing reading this music review.

J. Cole did two freestyles at the Power 106 Los Angeles

J. Cole did freestyles over Mike Jones' "Always Tippin" & "93 Til Infinity." It was a way of letting everyone know that he has not fallen off. It was also a way of promoting his album, "The Off-Season" which has gained massive success. It has reached number 1 on US iTunes, according to the charts data.