Chapter one: Destiny sets its course.

Start from the beginning

"It is such an honor to meet you Miss Mellark. Our tributes of district twelve for the 99th hunger games. Katn- Diana Mellark and Adrien Paix, please shake hands. May the odds be ever in your favor," Effie says. I shake Adrien's hand and we are pushed into the Justice Building. I am sent to a room that looks over the square. I sit on one of the chairs and wait. My parents rush in with my brother right behind them.

"What are you thinking!" My mother yells. My famous mother Katniss Everdeen the Mockingjay, the leader of the rebellion is yelling at me for just going to my death. What's the big deal.

"I was thinking about the two siblings up there earlier. They don't deserve to be sent into the arena to kill each other. It is also about time I make my mark," I yell back. My mother steps back and stares at me with fear. I can scare my mom easily, I don't know why but she has always been scared of me when I'm mad.

"Diana please, we never wanted you to do this. We love you and can't bear losing you," My father says. Peeta Mellark the boy with the bread. That's what my mom calls him. The one who volunteered to protect my mother in the arena of the 75th hunger games and was tortured by the capital during the war is telling me that they can't bear losing me. Pathetic.

"You have been training me for this before I could walk, dad if you think you broke your promise to mom about keeping us safe. You didn't break it. I made this decision on my own and you can't stop it," I say. My brother comes over to me and gives me a necklace with a bow and arrow engraved on top. I open the locket to find a painting of my parents with me and my brother behind them. We were always taller than our parents. The other side of the locket holds a painting of my grandparents. Haymitch and Melanie (my mother's mom). They look so happy. They got together after the war and my grandmother moved back to district twelve with my father.

"Thank you. Dad these paintings are beautiful. I will cherish it with my life," I say. I walk over to them and hug them. My mom doesn't hug me at first but then wraps her arms around me. We stay in this family hug till a peacekeeper comes in and pushes them out of the room. I wait for a few minutes then my grandparents come in. My grandpa hugs me and kisses me on the cheek.

"Any advice grandpa?" I ask Haymitch.

"The same I told your parents, stay alive and run away from the cornucopia and find water. I hope you will actually listen to me, your parents never did." Haymitch says.

"Please use the medical tips I gave you when you were younger," My grandmother says.

"I will try, I have a few things to ask," I say as we walk together to a nice red couch.

"I need you both to make sure mom, dad, and Finnick are okay and going on with their lives. Before the games begin I need you two to clean out my bedroom. Tell them it is a request from me. Second, keep an eye on the Paix family. As grandma knows I have feelings for Adrien and I am promising myself that I will save him over me, I was destined to go to the games," I say.

"We promise, right sweetheart?" Haymitch asks my grandma.

"We promise," my grandma says. We stand up and hug. The peacekeepers come in and take them back out into the hall and a little girl with blonde hair and green eyes walks in.

"Hello Eva," I say as I sit on the couch. She sits next to me and just stares at me for about two minutes. Then asks me a question that I haven't found the answer to yet.

"Why did you volunteer to take my place?" Eva asks me.

"I felt that you and your brother shouldn't have to go through something like that and I imagined that happening with my brother and me and I couldn't let it happen. Have you gone to see your brother yet?" I ask her. She nods her head yes.