It Gets Harder For Me

So, Peter understood that 20 minutes was too long to leave a message without replying, that was totally his fault.

But now he didn't understand how you're meant to message that same person the next day – do you carry on? Do you act like nothing happened and just say 'Morning?' What was he meant to do?!

Turns out, she would solve that problem for him.

She messaged him as though nothing had happened, as though just above her 'Good morning Spidey-boy :)' wasn't a thread of half naked pictures. And Peter shamelessly went along with it.

They didn't text solidly over the day, but they texted more than Peter had ever texted a person. They talked about the work she was doing, the training he was going through, and though the pictures weren't mentioned again, she was definitely edging towards it.

By the end of the day, Peter had had enough of winking emojis and double-entendres for the rest of his life. His heart thumped with everyone, then calmed down when she continued as if nothing was happening. Maybe this is just how she is, maybe she was playing with him, maybe she was testing his reactions to see if he could actually keep up with her?

Over the next few days, there was no more 'Sexy Texty' (as MJ called it), and Peter had actually gotten into a good rhythm of bantering with her and being confident enough to be sarcastic and joking in their messages. He was starting to feel good about the whole situation.

Then Wednesday came. On Wednesday, she started being different. She started flirting more, like when they sent each other pictures. She was asking when he would be alone, in his room, saying she was sooo bored and just needed someone to relax with. She was bringing up past relationships, places she'd been caught doing 'stuff' in. He was perfectly nice in his replies, but he wasn't sure he was doing a great job returning the same energy. Especially the next day, when he was training with Mr Stark, who kept noticing his pocket buzzing, and finally whipped round to him.

"Who the hell is texting you so much?" Mr Stark asked with a frown on his face, making Peter absolutely panic.

"Uhhh..it's...Sam." Peter said, and he wondered why Sam was the first name to pop into his head. "He's...helping me with some moves."

"And he needs to text you ten times about it?"

"He gets...excited." Peter said, hoping he said it coolly enough for his mentor to believe it. Sam was an excitable guy, it kind of made sense.

Mr Stark just narrowed his eyes, then shook his head.

"This is why I have two phones." Mr Stark muttered, before carrying on with their exercise, which was mostly Peter swinging around his blaster shots. He webbed himself into a high corner, which hid him from Mr Stark's view for a second and he reached into his pocket to put his phone on silence. Ten messages, all from Luka. He'd read them later.

The training went on for another two hours. Mr Stark liked to practise in his new suits (which he seemed to make like every month), and Peter needed to be on his good side so that he could go on more missions. He was the youngest on the team and Mr Stark was still...hesitant about which missions he was allowed on.

Peter checked the messages as he walked back to his room, eager for a shower and a nap. Luka's texts were just updates on what she was doing, and some selfies with DUM-E. He quickly replied that he was in training, hence the no reply, and was just heading back to shower.

When he was in the shower, however, he kept thinking about Mr Stark. He clearly didn't like Luka having relationships, he was absolutely not impressed when he found Peter in the lab the first time, and today, it was clear that any kind of conversation that interrupted training was not good. Peter really didn't want to piss Mr Stark off, considering how much he had done for him over the last few years. And Mr Stark would be really pissed if he found out that Luka and him were still talking, and definitely not PG13 talking. If his phone kept going off around Mr Stark, he would get suspicious, and then he'd ask about it, and if he found out then he could kick Peter out of the team, out of the compound...