Thirty-Two: Gedeon

Mulai dari awal

"What line is he on?" I growled, picking up the phone.

"One," he answered and pointed his thumb out the front door with a frown. "Is Dove going to hear since she's just right across?"

"She's in the library right now," I informed him. Since the incident, she had refused to sleep in her designated room. Instead, she took her Little Women and the jacket I've first given her and moved into the library as if she was going to live there. At first, I thought she had fallen asleep in there, but now, I knew. I knew she couldn't sleep in her room, but there wasn't a chance I was going to allow her to sleep in the library either. The logical thing to do was to give her one of the many vacant beds on the other side where everyone else sleeps, but I didn't like how far she'd be either.

"Which surprises me since you don't allow anyone in," Timor mused, already knowing the answer as to why. "As with your Mother's greenhouse."

Besides the library and greenhouse being off-limit to everyone, I had somehow made an exception for her. The two most covenant places, what was the only thing that preserved Mother that Father had left of her. For me to offer those two places to Dove because she found comfort in them made me feel like she wasn't just a pawn or plaything to me anymore.

Something I never thought would happen.

"Like any of you would enjoy reading if it's not on a device," I retorted with ease before pressing the line Robert was on. Regardless of what he had to say, I wanted to let him know that he could deplete all his resources, give me everything in this world, and I still wouldn't give up Dove.

"Bring back my property," he snapped on the other line. There was an edge in his voice, dripping with venom. Yet, I didn't bat an eye. He was crazy, but I was crazier.

I grinned, leaning into my chair. "You mean your dead men? Yeah, sure. You know where I live anyways, come get them yourself and join em' while you're at it."

"I meant my fucking wife!" he roared on the other line. Moments later, I could hear glass shattering and a faint whimpering from what appeared to be a woman on the other line. I tensed, for a moment as I thought of Dove in that position. "Shut the fuck up or I'll fucking kill you."

"I don't know what poor woman you have captive, but I'm not sticking around to find out your lover quarrel when I have more important things to do," I drawled out. "And Dove's not your fucking wife either."

"You don't even need her anymore, the alliance is done," he continued. "Galileo Romano is dead."

"That so?" I said, uninterested. From Mateo's account, it was only a matter of time before Robert took him out himself. Now, the Italians are going to be in turmoil until a new boss takes over. And I knew he couldn't take over without Dove's hand in marriage either. "And?"

"Now, all that's left is to hand my pigeon back to me," he bit out. "Bring back the Italian Queen, your enemy."

"No."

There was no room for margin or debate.

He quieted for a moment. "Why? She doesn't even benefit you anymore."

"It's fun to fuck with you," I disclosed with ease. Robert was used to getting what he wanted. After all, he and Mateo took the credit for killing my mother. For finding out where Father had hidden us and set fire to the place. Decapitated her head, burned down the house, and thought I had died too.