Chapter 13 | Worthy

Comenzar desde el principio

He found the figures he was searching for with a glance, the ring of lycans currently surrounding them making them easy to spot. As Darius watched, he saw the men he had travelled with on the journey to Elysian approach the gathering curiously. Some of the other lycans turned to welcome them on arrival and the smaller group integrated into the crowd easily.

"Majesty ..." Ezekiel's faltering voice made Darius want to scoff. What was Ezekiel even afraid of? Darius was the one who had issued her the challenge after all – it was only natural she had seen it through this far.

"So, she managed to best you then, I presume?" He asked Gabriel nonchalantly, ignoring Ezekiel's hovering completely.

"Yes, your Majesty," Gabriel replied, with his head still respectfully bowed, "forgive me for being incompetent."

Darius snorted and looked back out at the gathered group. His height advantage was the only reason he was able to pick out the delicate form of the Princess, surrounded by his hulking lycans. He found Arlo's blond curls easily too – unsurprised to see Balthazar standing alongside him. The older lycan's back was as straight and proud as ever, his silver hair eye-catching amongst the otherwise earthy pallet of browns and golds.

The Princess was joined by only one other in the circle and Darius's grey eyes narrowed as he studied the slender, yet powerful form of his fourth commander, Mizuki.

In charge of training the lycans selected for the Kings Guard, Mizuki had served Darius even before he was crowned King. She was critical, a good judge of character, a powerful ally in battle, and most of all, her loyalty to her King was unshakable.

"Is this the first time she has challenged Mizuki, since I have been gone?" He asked.

Ezekiel's answer was swift. "No, your Highness. This would be the eighth."

"Eighth?" Darius's eyebrows lifted, slightly impressed. He glanced at Gabriel. "You have been bested more than once then?"

If it were possible, Gabriel's head seemed to droop lower. "Balthazar's teachings remain as beneficial as ever," he said, "if Majesty wishes to know more about the Princess's progress, he need only watch."

Darius turned his critical gaze back down to the training grounds. He folded his arms tightly across his chest, leaning back against the smooth stone of the castle walls. Extending his hearing, he was able to clearly hear the exchange of words happening below.

"You have come again," Mizuki was saying, her calm voice devoid of emotion, "although you should know by now that your efforts are wasted Princess. I will bow to none other than my King."

"You cannot blame me for trying again," Iris said confidently, and Darius was mildly surprised by the humor in her reply. "After all, there was no limit given to my attempts."

"In that regard at least, you have earned my respect," Mizuki responded dryly, "no-one, not even the King himself could fault your persistence. But that is where my consideration must end. My King has commanded me not to acknowledge you as worthy – and you cannot overrule his command."

Darius felt his lip curl slightly, a tinge of cruelty entering his gaze at Mizuki's words. It did not matter how far the Princess had come in terms of physical strength. As a Royal, it would be strange if she couldn't best Gabriel after receiving such intense training.

But that was not the true test Darius had issued her.

He had seen the look of horror in her eyes as she had watched him cripple that assassin shifter with his command alone, that night in the underground cells. He knew that she held little regard for his use of the command, in fact, he wouldn't be surprised if she considered the command barbaric in general. This soft, naive Princess ... Darius knew that she would rather suffer herself than force another to do her bidding.