+

A day since the delegates had come to John. As he is on the shore, he sees Jesus coming. He's humbly dressed in a close-to-white woolen robe, sandals on his feet, nice light-blue tunic over the robe.

Yet the Baptizer recognizes him. He stresses out his hand and points at Jesus again. "Here is the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!" John then comments, "I did not know who he was, but I have come baptizing using water to make him known to Israel."

Then John testifies: "I saw the Spirit come down from heaven like a dove and rest on him."

The people turn to Jesus as they hear these words. But why is our Messiah just like THAT? some wonder.

Yet they see in him divine compassion, agape, and humility. Could those be traits of the Redeemer?

Meanwhile, John tops all his testimony by saying, "This I have seen myself, and I have declared my belief that he is the Son of God."

Without warning, Jesus departs. He isn't trying to get attention.

Or at least not yet.

+

It is the next day. Still hanging around the Jordan River, John is with some people. Jesus again passes from among the multitude around his cousin, who spots him again.

The Baptizer is specifically along with the two fishermen from Galilee—Andrew and the younger John son of Zebedee. Seeing Jesus walk along, the Baptizer proclaims, "There is the Lamb of God!"

The two fishers are impressed by John, and this comment causes them to reflect.

But what does this mean? Andrew and John wonder. We must find out, somehow.

They are being moved by an irresistible impulse. They feel like following the man John pointed out.

+

Jesus could hear footsteps coming. He turns around and sees two of the Baptizer's disciples now following him. They are thinking, Could this man truly be the Messiah?

So Jesus pauses and moves off to the side of the road as if he was blocking them. But that does not turn them from him. They simply stop also.

Jesus gives a slight smile. He asks Andrew and John the son of Zebedee, "So what are you looking for?"

These two want to know more about Jesus. Determined to follow him and have answers to their questions—and this may well not happen briefly by the wayside—, they respond to Jesus' question. "Oh Rabbi, our Teacher, where are you staying?"

Jesus beams. "So you want to know?"

They nod. "Yes, we do, Rabbi." Strangely enough, the title "Rabbi" (which means "Teacher") is usually reserved for priests and Torah-experts. Jesus never went to any schools set up by rabbis, yet these fishers wish to be his disciples.

Now states Jesus, without worry, "Come, and you will see."

It is about four in the afternoon, so Jesus leads his new friends to where he's staying around the Jordan. His tent is set up at quite a good skill.

"Alright, you two. What're your names?" asks Jesus.

"Andrew," says Andrew.

"John son of Zebedee," says John son of Zebedee.

"Andrew—'like a man'," says Jesus, commenting on the meaning of the name.

So Jesus speaks with Andrew and John freshly. His way of interpreting Scripture is reasonable and beautiful. "I have been here alone, then you followed me," says Jesus.

The hours pass so suddenly that Jesus says his new disciples could spend the night with him.

"I do hope neither of you mind," says Jesus.

"Oh, it is nothing," says the young John.

+

About nighttime. The stars are out. Jesus and the two disciples have their backs on the grass as they look at the stars. So attractive they are.

"God made these stars on the fourth day of creation," says Andrew.

"Yes, it's true," affirms Jesus. "And he also made the sun and moon that day."

"Hey Jesus," asks John. "Hey, why did God create some things on one day, and other things on another day? Like, I don't get it."

"John," says Jesus, "the first day, God made light. He made day and night. On the fourth day, God made the sun and stars for lights. On the second day, God made the sky you see, dividing water from water. On the fifth day, God made the birds and fish for the sky and sea. On the third day, God made land and plants. On the sixth day—"

"Then God made the land animals!" cries John, recalling this familiar story.

"Yes, yes. So you see, God had an order for things. And he also created mankind on the sixth day."

"Adam and Eve," mentions Andrew.

Then Jesus says, "And God rested on the seventh day from all his work. It's his Sabbath, holy to the Lord."

Holy.

John, on hearing that word, considers that theme of holiness—purity. "I would like to be holy," yearns John.

"And you can," says Jesus.

+

Now it is morning. Andrew finds his older brother Simon. He was also listening to the Baptizer. And having departed now, Simon sits under a palm tree. "Brother! Brother!" exclaims Andrew.

"Andrew, brother, what is it?" asks an interested Simon, son of Jonas.

"We have found the Messiah!" was the response.

Now Simon really turns to Andrew. Did he really find the Messiah? Andrew didn't need to repeat himself. Simon goes with him to where Jesus is.

Jesus is with John. He could clearly see that John is quite attentive to his words of life, and he enjoys it. Then Jesus turns up and sees Simon coming with Andrew. He welcomes the fisherman to the small group. And Simon notices that Jesus looks at him intently as if he is thinking about him. And he is, actually.

Finally, Jesus says, "You are Simon, son of Jonas; you will be called Cephas."

Simon wonders what Jesus meant by calling him "a stone". But he will find out when it is time.