Acceptance

Please leave your opinion about everything❤️I need to know how many people are reading the story so please vote❤️

Meredith slowly got out of her car and walked into the house. It was quiet. There was no evidence that Derek was still here but there was the feeling she couldn’t get rid of, so she knew exactly where he was: In her room.

She ran upstairs and got into her bedroom. She saw him sitting on the side of her bed, their post-it note in his hands.

"Hey" he said as he looked up at her with teary eyes. "sorry I barged into your room without permission."

"That’s okay… I guess."

"Mer, I know this is confusing for you but let me explain everything."

"How are you going to explain that, you were gone for nearly 5 years? That you were somewhere else when I was grieving? What were you even doing?" She said pain evident in her voice.

"I know, none of these is fair to you or our kids, but I can explain everything… I promise" He said as he looked down at the post-it again.

She said next to him and rested her head on his shoulder. They stayed like that for a minute and then she stood up, took the post-it out of his hands and put it back to where it belonged: In her drawer under the pile of clothes. That’s where she hid it. There also was his ferry boat scrub cap, their wedding ring, and photos of them and their kids. What a happy family they were. Were… She didn’t know if she was hiding those things from herself or someone else. They were evidences of how happy they were till that day she’ll never forget and never forgive, the day when her perfect life fell apart, the day when she went from a wife to a widow.

She got back to the bed and sat there quietly. Derek broke the silence.

"I'm sorry that I was gone, I’m sorry that I wasn’t here to help you, I’m sorry that you had to go through those terrible things I can only imagine, and I’m sorry that you had to go through them alone." He said tears falling from his eyes.

"I wasn’t alone. I had Alex, and Maggie, and Amelia and the kids… I wasn’t, alone."

"I’m glad that you weren’t."

"How?"

"How what?"

"How did you survive? I watched you get off the life support. I watched you die. I had your funeral." she started crying again.

He put his hand on her shoulder and tried to comfort her. She moved closer to him and buried her head in his chest once again till she was ready to hear what he had to say. And she knew he had to say a lot and she needed answers right now. She just didn’t know if they would bring her relief or even more pain. And she didn’t know if she’d be able to handle any more pain. But she gave him a sign that she was ready to listen and he started telling the story.

Thanks for reading!
Don't forget to vote and write your opinion in the comments💛