CHAPTER FIVE

Nick Grimshaw had been in the dungeons for nearly a week when Zayn—despite Louis' protests—reminded him that he really did need a fair trial.

"Why should I?" Louis complained, feeling like a small child on his large throne. He threw his hands up in frustration.

"Mate," Zayn stood next to his chair. He knew Louis hated giving orders for prisoners' sentences. It had always bothered him. "You need to be fair. Yes, what he did was wrong. But, no one died, yeah?"

"I'm going to kill him," Louis growled back. "He touched my mate. Harry is my omega and he dared to touch him." Zayn opened his mouth to protest when the doors opened and two guards escorted Nick in.

They were half dragging the tall, lanky man. He looked incredibly weak in their arms. His dark hair was matted and he truly looked terrible. Although, to be fair, Louis thought he deserved it. Being locked up in the dungeons wasn't even the cruelest thing he could do.

Louis still wanted him dead.

The guards shoved him forward onto the carpet just before the steps that led to Louis' throne. Seeing the man in this state before him, Louis suddenly felt more confident and proud of the power the crown perched on his head gave him.

"Y-Your h-highness-" Nick stuttered, staring at the ground from his feeble position on his knees. "Forgive me-"

"Forgiveness is not what you need, Grimshaw," Louis barked, eyes flashing dangerously. "I could hang you for this."

"Louis," Zayn mumbled beside him, only audible for Louis.

Despite his overwhelming sense of power, somewhere inside of him, Louis knew Zayn was right. He cleared his throat.

"Explain to me what you did," Louis said with pure authority, adding a touch of his strong alpha voice in there. He was King, after all.

"I-I-" Nick was stuttering terribly. His whole body was shaking. Louis furrowed his brows. "I- found your o-omega in h-heat."

"Correct," Louis leaned forward in his chair, resting his arms on either side of the throne. "My omega. My boy. You cannot touch what is mine, Grimshaw." Louis' alpha voice was strong now. Nick may be an alpha, but Louis always held the upper hand.

Nick was nearly crying by now. Louis shook his head, narrowing his eyes at the sight before him. Nick was incredibly weak and he was wasting Louis' time.

"W-What will you do to m-me?" Nick finally looked up, his brown eyes were pleading as they looked into Louis'. But Louis refused to be merciful.

"I want you out," Louis said firmly. "Leave this kingdom. You are banished."

"Sire!" Nick cried, but the guards grabbed a hold of his arms.

"Leave," Louis growled darkly and so dangerously that he nearly surprised himself. His voice and position screamed alpha. Head alpha.

Nick cried out as the guards dragged him away. Louis kept his eyes narrowed at his fading figure until the doors slammed shut.

Zayn turned to him. "Can't say I know what you're feeling," he said. "No one has ever touched Perrie before, as long as she's been mine."

"And I hope you never do," Louis sighed.

-

Nearly three weeks after Nick's trial, Harry returned on a chilly, October night.

Louis hadn't seen him since his heat almost a month ago. But as he held Harry close to his chest near the window which Harry had just climbed through, he took note of how he looked oddly different now. His face had a small shine to it. He looked oddly ill, but incredibly bright at the same time.