61.| You Can't Run From Who You Are

Magsimula sa umpisa

Kaleb scoffs. "Wow... lemme guess who came up with that thunderbolt."

All eyes shifted on Jed who rolled his eyes.

The wolf stands to his feet, ready to elaborate on his idea. "As the only person who's actually been inspired by Cleo— were trying to force it. Just be natural," he says looking Cleo in the eyes.

Cleo awkwardly stands in front of Jed looking in his eyes intentionally.

"There's nothing natural about that."

"It worked!" Jed exclaims in excitement. "I know how we defeat Malivore. We summon a time travel monster to send us back in time and stop it from being born."

Lucas scoffs. "No offense, but that means you'd all have to go against past me who didn't have any type of feeling or pity for humanity. So not to sound cocky but you'd all automatically die."

Kaleb nods. "He's kind of right. And I'm in no mood to get my assed kicked by a heartless Nephilim." he sighs. "Where's Lizzie with the zinger when you need her?"

"She had a far greater duty this morning. And I quote, she had "a fashion emergency...." Hope says, with an eye roll.

Lucas narrows his eyes. "Yeah... that's been going on since the day we've met so.."

"I think Jed's right."

The group looks at Alaric with wide eyes as if that was the most stupid thing he could've possibly said.

Alaric realizes what the students were probably thinking and shakes his head. "No. Not about the time travel. Maybe we're going about this all wrong."

Lucas scoffs. "Well no shit sherlock."

Alaric rolls his eyes. "Instead of you trying to inspire us, maybe you just need to focus on what inspires you, like, uh, a song or a work of art."

"Or a special someone," Kaleb adds with a smirk.

Lucas snorts. "Poor Cleo."

Kaleb shoots him a glare.

"Great." Hope sighs. "If Kaleb's game is the answer to our problems, then we're doomed."

Cleo chuckles, her eyes glowed a bright orange, yet yellowish color which weirdly only Lucas and Landon seemed to have noticed.

"Woah."

"Something just happened."

Lucas looks up. "I might have something."

"Me too..." Hope says. "If we're thinking the same thing then we just need to do some research before we share with the group." she looks at the group with a small smile. "But I can assure you, it's completely safe and neither of us will have to leave school."

With that, the couple walks away. Landon follows behind. The trio makes their way to Lucas's dorm room where they gathered all books and began to read up— well all but Landon.

"You two mind sharing your actual plan with me?"

"Nope," Lucas says, not looking up. "Nah, I'm just kidding. Hope hasn't told me shit, so I'm lost just like you."

Hope sighs. "The prison world is bound to The Necromancer. So what if we take a page out of Kai Parker's playbook?"

"That dude had a lot of plays. Could you be a little more specific?"

Lucas begins to start catching onto the Tribrid's little plan. "If we sever The Necromancer's ties to it, the prison world will collapse. And destroys everything inside of it, including my child Malivore."

Landon nods. "Got to admit, it's pretty brilliant."

"Thank you. Can't take all the credit."

Hope nods. "Now all we need to do is find our necrotic friend and make him an offer. His blood and the duplicate ascendant we need for the severing spell. And In exchange, I will free him from the prison world—"

"Wait what?" Both Lucas and Landon say in unison.

"That's a terrible idea," Landon says with widened eyes.

Hope rolls her eyes at the two. "Don't worry, I'm gonna screw him over. I just need to figure out how."

"I thought you told Dr. Saltzman this was gonna be risk-free."

Hope nods. "It is. Hence the chalk."

"Astral projection."

"The Necromancer can see different planes of existence, so he should be able to see but not touch, maim, or kill you," Lucas says slightly impressed with her idea.

Hope smiles. "Like I said, safe."

"In that case, I'm coming with you," Lucas tells the Tribrid.

"Sorry. Not enough chalk." Said Hope.

"You just said it's safe. Besides, look at my résumé. I'm the only one here who's beat The Necromancer in negotiation." The Nephilim shrugs. "Besides Kirby too of course."

"Remember what the banshee said."

"Yeah. But we said screw fate, remember? This is our chance to actually do it. I, for one, can't think of anything more romantic than strolling hand in hand through a post-apocalyptic hellscape." Lucas smiles, he holds his hands out for Hope to take.

Hope huffs and takes her hand into his. She then turns to face Landon. "You keep an eye out on everything here, okay?"

Landon glances at Lucas who gave him a nod.

With that, Hope began the spell.