Chapter 19 - Those are just the Babies

Começar do início

"Do you want to head back in?" He asked, aware that his friend had long finished his water.

"Sure thing, we've rested more than enough. I was thinking we would try our hand at defeating a group of enemies together."

"That sounds perfect. What kind of opponents does the sim let you choose from?" He asked curiously.

"Pretty much anything, even other Supers. It generates them based on available data readings and video. Want to see if it can do a MechaBlitz Grunt? I've never seen one in person."

"That sounds like a good idea, but just one?"

"No way. After that fight to the death, I won't be satisfied with an easy win. Plus, there are two of us now. Let's try four of them."

"Four?! You do know that a Grunt is the equivalent of a Class four Super, right?" Gabriel asked, worried his friend was overestimating their skills.

"Hey, think about it. In a real mission, we won't run into just one of those guys. Hell, we probably won't ever run into any less than five or six at a time, and we won't always have a full team in every situation. Say Quartz and Lilith are busy fighting a group and more show up, what then?"

Falco had a point. In the real world, the MechaBlitz was a relentless and unmerciful enemy.

"Alright, I agree with your logic. Let's do this."

Falco grinned, and they went to stand on the scanners once more. The Speedster set the parameters, and the simulation commenced.

They stood on a city street around what felt like midnight. The street lights were off, and no vehicles could be seen. The moon hung high overhead, and clouds flitted across the sky like a ripped blanket hiding the moon. Falco had chosen an evacuated city as the new training ground.

Judging by the street signs they were somewhere in South America, Gabriel ventured a guess it was Lima, Peru. It was one of the first cities hit by the MechaBlitz and the city with the highest death toll.

Over ten million humans died there in the first blitz.

Falco and Gabriel stood across the street from the Grunts. They were larger in person than online. Each towered over eight feet tall and must have weighed at least a ton... without their armor. Their helmets hinged open to let them bite and tear with their razor-sharp teeth. Bulky devices rose from each Grunt's right forearm.

Those must be Pulse Lasers, Gabriel thought, suddenly nervous.

"Why aren't they attacking us?" He Gabriel.

"I think it's because I haven't told the simulation to start. Do you want me to start it now?"

"NO! Sorry, wait for a second. Let's consider how we are going to do this."

"Of course, of course. Lead on oh wise one," Falco said with a flourished bow.

"Very funny. Alright, what I see here is a deathtrap. They have small Pulse Lasers. Those things will rip right through my armor, and you won't fare well at all if just one of them grabs you.

Since Rosenquartz isn't here, I guess I'll be trying to keep their attention. You go as stab happy as you like, provided you do it how you did against Zero."

Falco nodded and said, "That sounds about right, but try not to get hit; I won't be able to back you up if things get too close quarters... Captain." He saluted.

This time, Gabriel snorted. "Ok, man, set the timer."

The counter ticked down as they positioned themselves, with Gabriel hovering in front and Falco down the street with space to run.