Chapter 17 - What Makes a Leader?

Start from the beginning

In your case, think about it like this: How many intimidating Supports can you recall? That's right, not many other than Belle Thunder. So if you were healing... I don't know, Falco, and the enemy suddenly shifts gears and heads for him; do you think they'll expect to feel your mace crush them to a pulp? So I feel free to say you are the team's trump card as Support. Don't look at me like that. At least being Support will teach you not to run in and get trapped like you just did."

Lilith didn't seem to want to argue any further, so Zero looked at Falco. "You, my friend, are most fit to be an offensive specialist, you can't take hits, but you know exactly when and where to give them.

Rosenquartz, I am choosing you as defense specialist for apparent reasons, and Gabriel, I give the specialization of Jack because of your ability to mitigate damage and dish it out. You can also fly, something the rest of your team lacks."

The team remained silent when Zero finished explaining his choices. "Starting tomorrow, you will be training with your specialization groups every other day. Non-mentor Shield members will lead these groups. If there are no further questions, you are dismissed. Gabriel, stay behind for a chat. Enjoy the rest of your day."

Rosenquartz, Falco, and Lilith walked towards the elevator to meet with their guides for the day, and soon only Zero and Gabriel were left, not counting Alfred. "Let's sit here for a moment. This won't take long."

They sat opposite each other. Gabriel interlaced his fingers on his lap and awaited the topic of discussion.

"You integrated with an AI, didn't you?"

Not the question Gabriel had expected. "H-how do you know that? Were you watching me?!"

"Calm down, Gabe. We aren't in the habit of spying on our newest recruits. No, I only asked because your movements today were very different from yesterday. Your adjustments were too minute, too precise. Only one of your shots went wide, and I venture to say that's only because you weren't focussed on where you wanted to hit me. Did you name it?"

The question led Gabriel to think that the older man knew more about the subject than he led on. "Before I answer any more of your questions, answer mine first. How did you find out?"

The pitch-black face in front of him grinned mischievously. "I guessed."

Before Gabriel could ask anything else, Zero went on, "It's similar to how I knew Lucian had jumped dimensions, a feeling I've felt before. See, when I first joined the Sentinels, I had a friend I often trained with. One day he seemed to have become a new person. He was able to dodge and block attacks he had never even gotten close to dealing with.

It took me a while of prodding before he told me he integrated with an AI to increase his usefulness - on and off the battlefield. Before you ask, that friend's name is Dr. Atomic, and as far as I know, he is the only other human to do what you have. But enough about that, I would like to know what made you undergo such a procedure."

Gabriel sat in silence for a few seconds. It was incredible that Zero figured out what he'd done, but the Super's sensitivity to events - those 'feelings' - had to be some sort of mutation; it was too uncanny.

"It's a bit of a long story..."

Gabriel explained how he came to meet Alfred and how the robot had grown fond of him after showing it politeness.

He didn't go into too many details, but he did mention how they named Alfred, which elicited a laugh from Zero, who said, "Batman... priceless."

From there, Gabriel recounted their encounter with Grizzly in the hall and the mad dash to the lab. Finally, he explained how the process backfired, resulting in the integration of both beings.

Zero whistled. "Damn! You do know you could have turned yourself into a vegetable that way? Atomic's process went much more smoothly, from what I recall. From what I saw in the simulation and what I can feel from you now, I'd say the danger has passed, and your integration was a success. Just in case, though, report to the infirmary for a little scan to make sure my hunch is correct."

Your brain is at optimal levels; no blood clots are present, nor did they form when we established our connection. I guarantee it, though a routine scan will help alleviate any doubts.

"Alfred just told me I'm fine, but he says I should go get the check-up anyway," Gabriel responded.

"It is good he isn't insisting that you not get the scan, then I'd be a little worried."

Gabriel turned to go.

"Wait, Gabe, before you leave, I have to finish assigning your specialization."

The young man turned, puzzled, and asked, "Didn't you just do that?"

"Sort of. If you recall, there is one special position not considered among the specializations. I didn't name anyone Strike Force Captain."

Gabriel's mouth hung open. "You pick me?! Why? Lilith and Falco had proper Sentinel training!"

"The reasons I picked you are simple. Falco is prone to taking off to rescue civilians; if he were lead, he would leave you when his sense of rightness considered it necessary. That could get you all killed.

Rosenquartz is too simple to formulate complex plans; he can only follow broad and general orders, although he does so quite well, I'd say.

Lilith is too headstrong. I heard how she usurped your planning, asserting herself as the leader. On the other hand, you started talking to your team about what you could do - without taking making it seem like you were trying to lead.

Your plan worked much better than hers, as well. No, Lilith is too eager to prove herself and will undoubtedly get herself and others hurt if she is allowed to do so as a Captain. All of your teammates need a hand to guide them, Quartz to know what to do, Falco to not stray from combat, and Lilith to be kept safe from herself and her desire to prove herself to her father."

They were all excellent reasons. Gabriel hadn't known Lilith had issues living up to her father's expectations, but he did feel it wasn't the right time to discuss it with her.

He nodded in acceptance. "I agree. I'll do my best."

Zero smiled, "I know you will, exactly why I chose you for this team in the first place."

"What am I supposed to do?" Gabriel asked.

"Oh shoot, sorry. You will train with Dr. Atomic and the rest of the team leaders at night - on the days you train with your specialization group. Alfred will know where. Also, don't worry about your secret getting out. I'll inform Dr. Atomic, but that will be it. I only do so to help you learn more about the uses for your... condition. Now you are free to go. As I told your teammates, enjoy the rest of your day." Having finished with their meeting, Zero dissipated in shadow.

Gabriel stood slowly. Learning he'd have the responsibility of Captain was not something he had desired, but he couldn't bring himself to believe that Zero had made the wrong choice in electing him.

He felt the need to share the news. "Alfred?"

Yes, Gabriel?

"You wouldn't happen to have Falco's contact information, would you?"