Chapter 5

This school, while bigger than the one on the rest, is still a lot smaller than my school in Colorado so I found the office quickly. The sweet older lady gave me my schedule, a map of the school, my locker number, and combination before sending me off with a smile and a document that needs the signatures of all my teachers and has to be returned to the office at the end of the day. A few people openly stared at me, not bothering to hide their curiosity or whispers, I appreciate that. My first class is English and when I walked in all eyes were on me.

"Miss Clearwater, I presume." the teacher said.

"Mr. Thomas? Yes, uh, this needs your signature." I replied, handing over the slip.

"Right, you can sit wherever you want. Today is just a recap and I'll be giving out the assignments for the week. If there's anything you don't understand, come to me when class is over and we can discuss it."

"Yes sir."

Thankfully, by the time the class was over I realized that I have already completed everything that the English teacher is discussing at least for now. After English, I have Trigonometry, Gym, and Government. Then lunch, Biology III, and my last class is French. In trig nothing interesting happened, people stared and thought they were whispering, I'm sure they were but my accelerated hearing doesn't really help. No one actually talked to me until gym. Coach Clapp said I don't have to suit up but volleyball is my favorite sport so I decided to play.

"Hey, so you're Alyssa, right? I'm Jessica." some girl said, walking up to me after we changed.

"Yes . . ."

"I saw you talking to Bella this morning, how do you know her?"

Ah, she's one of those. This one is openly nosy, but at least she's straightforward about it. I can appreciate that.

"I don't know her, I saw her on the res this past weekend." I replied.

"What were you doing on the reservation?"

"Jessica! Stop being rude, sorry for her, I'm Angela." another girl said.

"It's really okay, she's the first to outright ask instead of whispering gossip as I walk by." I said as we walked out of the locker room.

"So why were you on the reservation?" Jessica asked again.

"My dad is native Quileute, we just moved back home after my uncle died last week." I told them.

"I'm so sorry." Angela said, placing her hand on my arm softly.

"Thank you."

"That sucks. Where did you move from?" Jessica asked and I can just imagine the mental list she's compiling to tell all the rest of her friends.

"Colorado, we were living in Pueblo."

"Who's we?" Angela asked.

"Mom, dad, me, and my daughter."

Whoop, there it is! Might as well get it all out in one go. The shocked look on their faces tells me this will be around the school faster than New York minute.

"You have a baby?" they chorused.

"Yes, Eliana, she's 10 weeks, well 11 now."

"Two and a half months? And you look like that?" Jessica asked.

"You look amazing." Angela said.

"You have abs!" Jessica argued.

"I do a lot of yoga and I did sports in school, but thanks." I replied.