26: What We Had

Magsimula sa umpisa

It was quiet between them for a while.

"I really wish we had stayed in touch," he murmured.

Avery looked over at him. "Me too, I take full responsibility for that."

"It's okay," he said finally. "Things are okay now, right?"

"Well other than Nikki hating me, sure," she said with a shrug.

"Forget her, okay? We are away from Hartfield, away from all of its problems, just focus on having a good break," Julian encouraged. "And facing my mom who is going to kill me for not telling her sooner that I found you again."

"Meredith remembers me?" Avery asked, shocked by the idea.

"Of course, I mean we stopped talking about you once we realized you probably weren't coming back, but I know she remembers."

Avery smiled. "Does she still make those cookies with marshmallows, chocolate, and peanut butter?"

"Yep," he said, laughing. "She's been experimenting too, I wouldn't be surprised if she has something new waiting for us to try."

Avery's nerves began to settle, there was nothing to be worried about. As they approached a rather grand looking house, Julian pulled into the driveway. They got out of the car and Julian grabbed both of their duffle bags for them.

"I can carry it myself," she protested.

"It's fine," he said, shrugging.

Avery let him carry her bag and they walked into the house. Immediately, a little boy ran up to Julian.

"Julian!"

Julian dropped the bags and bent down. He scooped up the little boy in his arms.

"Mickey!" Julian said back in the same level of excitement as the boy.

"Guess what?" Mickey said happily.

"What?" he asked back.

"I got a trampoline, and I can do backflips way better than you," he said proudly.

"No way," Julian said, feigning shock.

"Way," Mickey said confidently.

"You'll have to show me later," Julian said, putting him down as he looked over at Avery. "Mickey, this is Avery," he explained.

Mickey shyly looked over at Avery. "Your hair's pink."

Avery smiled. "Yes it is," she said warmly.

"How'd you do it?" he asked in awe.

Avery chuckled. "Would you believe me if I said my fairy godmother did it?"

"Like Cinderella?" he said with excitement.

"Exactly," she grinned.

Another man, who Avery was assuming was Will, came over and shook hands with Julian.

"How are you, Julian?" he asked.

"Good, you?" Julian replied back.

"Always well when the whole family is together," Will answered.

Avery heard some noise from the kitchen and then Meredith came over immediately. She rushed over to Julian and hugged him.

"Oh, Julian, it's been too long," she said.

"You saw me at Thanksgiving," he replied.

"Too long," she repeated.

Meredith then turned to Avery. Will too was staring at her. Avery hoped her cheeks weren't too red.